Best Cities to Sell in

jward01

Expert
My lease is up in 2.5 months, I currently live in Los Angeles, CA. I am looking to move to a better insurance selling area (plus just get a feel for a new city), CA has proven to be pretty dry when it comes to selling policies out here (focusing on final expense and annuities, licensed for Life, Accident, and Health).

I've heard great things about Dallas, TX.. really just TX. in general, I was wondering if anyone had heard of any other areas that are successful? Or if anyone here has had success in TX personally that can vouch for it? Also wondering about Seattle, WA. as I've always had interest in living there, would be great if the insurance game was booming out there too.

Main goal: Live where theres good insurance so less traveling is required!

If anyone has any info on great places to work let me know! Got two more months til I have to choose where to move!

Thanks for the help!

MJW

My lease is up in 2.5 months, I currently live in Los Angeles, CA. I am looking to move to a better insurance selling area (plus just get a feel for a new city), CA has proven to be pretty dry when it comes to selling policies out here (focusing on final expense and annuities, licensed for Life, Accident, and Health). I've heard great things about Dallas, TX.. really just TX. in general, I was wondering if anyone had heard of any other areas that are successful? Or if anyone here has had success in TX personally that can vouch for it? Also wondering about Seattle, WA. as I've always had interest in living there, would be great if the insurance game was booming out there too. Main goal: Live where theres good insurance so less traveling is required! If anyone has any info on great places to work let me know! Got two more months til I have to choose where to move! Thanks for the help! MJW

You have named two of the worst FE areas in the country.

Dallas/Ft. worth is flooded with agents. Bad lead returns.

Washington State has crazy insurance laws that restrict selling small whole life policies to seniors.

The whole mid-west is good.

The worst is Florida, Georgia, CA and TX. Some agents will kill it anywhere. But they would kill it easier if they avoided those states.

My lease is up in 2.5 months, I currently live in Los Angeles, CA. I am looking to move to a better insurance selling area (plus just get a feel for a new city), CA has proven to be pretty dry when it comes to selling policies out here (focusing on final expense and annuities, licensed for Life, Accident, and Health).

I've heard great things about Dallas, TX.. really just TX. in general, I was wondering if anyone had heard of any other areas that are successful? Or if anyone here has had success in TX personally that can vouch for it? Also wondering about Seattle, WA. as I've always had interest in living there, would be great if the insurance game was booming out there too.

Main goal: Live where theres good insurance so less traveling is required!

If anyone has any info on great places to work let me know! Got two more months til I have to choose where to move!

Thanks for the help!

MJW

Personally if I had the option to just leave and life where I want. I would pick a half dozen places I think I would want to live then filler in the market conditions. Not the other way around. Quality of life over quality of work.

Yeah I meant life and not live.

I agree. A great goal and career objective is to be "drop me anywhere" good.

What "drop me anywhere" means to me, is that you can parachute to any city or community... and within a short period of time, can develop an income stream and clientele.

So what I'm basically saying, is that you are probably lacking skills to meet your sales objectives based on your local demographics. You can either move (which you're contemplating) or improve your skills... or both. Improving skills might be cheaper and a better ROI.

Attachments

• What_is_Drop_Me_Anywhere.pdf
    26.7 KB · Views: 32
Thanks for all the responses. Anyone who would like to respond is more than welcome to do so.

I know I need to improve in sales and my technique, there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

CA is a very difficult state, if you have ever had the opportunity to work here then you would know that it is a different beast. There is a reason why telemarketers charge more to generate leads in CA... CA is the highest taxed state and has the highest cost of living, thus leaving its residents tapped out on resources and not able to consider insurance. Many many people I see literally have $20 in the bank at the end of the month, every month.

Thank you for the responses about Washington and Texas. Thats a bummer to know the laws in Washington make it difficult to sell policies, and that Texas is over-saturated with agents.

Does anyone else have experience in Texas?

If you could pick up and go to any state/area in the nation to sell Final Expense Insurance where would it be?

Thanks again everyone

Thanks for all the responses. Anyone who would like to respond is more than welcome to do so.

I know I need to improve in sales and my technique, there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

CA is a very difficult state, if you have ever had the opportunity to work here then you would know that it is a different beast. There is a reason why telemarketers charge more to generate leads in CA... CA is the highest taxed state and has the highest cost of living, thus leaving its residents tapped out on resources and not able to consider insurance. Many many people I see literally have $20 in the bank at the end of the month, every month.

Thank you for the responses about Washington and Texas. Thats a bummer to know the laws in Washington make it difficult to sell policies, and that Texas is over-saturated with agents.

Does anyone else have experience in Texas?

If you could pick up and go to any state/area in the nation to sell Final Expense Insurance where would it be?

Thanks again everyone

Just a note: Three of the respondents are in CA. Rick is in SoCal and has done OK for I think 30 plus years, Wino, in the Central Valley, is surviving at almost 30 year, I do not know where DHK lives but seems to be a steady agent. I know several teleagents that steadily write Life business in California from Eastern and Southern states.

The $20 left comment can be from any state in the Union. There are also some of the wealthiest people in the world here.

Just say'n

[...]

Thanks again everyone

Yes, California has higher taxes and a high cost of living. You're blaming the state instead of learning how to adapt and work with your clients.

If you're just "peddling policies" (sorry, but that's what I think FE agents do)... then yes, it will be more difficult. You're selling purely on a price/need/benefit equation.

If you plan to stay in California, you'd have to learn different skills or change your offering.

There are tons of insurance career agencies... and I doubt that all of them aren't making any money.

There are tons of banks here... and I bet there are accounts and vaults here with lots of money in them... funded by their account holders.

There are lots of investment advisors here... and I bet they are managing a few million each.

If you're running into those who don't have ANYTHING... you either need to help them find the money, or change your prospecting message and market.

Along with Florida and New York, we have rude people here too. And yes, Californian's are sold hard and often... by amateurs. I've NEVER had a true professional salesperson approach me at my door or call me on the phone. If you can harness great skills... and be real and genuine with people... you'll be a very rare salesperson who can cultivate his own market at anytime.

If you're not standing out with a great offer, while being genuine and sincere, that is worth listening to... you'll fail and fail hard in California.

https://sandyschussel.com/be-the-red-crayon/

----------

Just a note: Three of the respondents are in CA. Rick is in SoCal and has done OK for I think 30 plus years, Wino, in the Central Valley, is surviving at almost 30 year, I do not know where DHK lives but seems to be a steady agent. I know several teleagents that steadily write Life business in California from Eastern and Southern states.

The $20 left comment can be from any state in the Union. There are also some of the wealthiest people in the world here.

Just say'n

I'm in the Inland Empire - about 50 miles south of where Rick is.

Yes, California has higher taxes and a high cost of living. You're blaming the state instead of learning how to adapt and work with your clients.

If you're just "peddling policies" (sorry, but that's what I think FE agents do)... then yes, it will be more difficult. You're selling purely on a price/need/benefit equation.

If you plan to stay in California, you'd have to learn different skills or change your offering.

There are tons of insurance career agencies... and I doubt that all of them aren't making any money.

There are tons of banks here... and I bet there are accounts and vaults here with lots of money in them... funded by their account holders.

There are lots of investment advisors here... and I bet they are managing a few million each.

If you're running into those who don't have ANYTHING... you either need to help them find the money, or change your prospecting message and market.

Along with Florida and New York, we have rude people here too. And yes, Californian's are sold hard and often... by amateurs. I've NEVER had a true professional salesperson approach me at my door or call me on the phone. If you can harness great skills... and be real and genuine with people... you'll be a very rare salesperson who can cultivate his own market at anytime.

If you're not standing out with a great offer, while being genuine and sincere, that is worth listening to... you'll fail and fail hard in California.

https://sandyschussel.com/be-the-red-crayon/

----------

I'm in the Inland Empire - about 50 miles south of where Rick is.

There you go. So many people say SoCal is tough to do business in. BullShite! And IE is even better IMO. There is money there. I do a lot of work in the San Francisco Bay Area as well as So Cal. Bigger premiums in SoCal and the Bay Area.

My biggest problem in SoCal... is the language barriers. Lots of people speak only Spanish... and I don't. I don't trust anyone to translate for me. So unless they speak "enough" English... I can't work with those people. Even then, they can't take advantage of my best ideas, unless they are fluent in English. Otherwise, it might end up just being a 'product sale'.

There are also pockets of other ethnicities. Westminster has a large Vietnamese community. Irvine is also growing in the Asian population. I think it's Reseda that has a Russian community?

What I like about the Inland Empire is that housing goes for about 60% of the values compared to Orange County while household incomes are about the same (statistically speaking). However, OC is much more "white collar" while IE is more "blue collar".

You got to know your market, how to be a flexible communicator, and be of true service than just giving a "dog and pony" show of a product in order to succeed.

Back