Best Way to Market Medicare Supplements? I need help!

Re: Best Way to Market Medicare Supplements??I need help!

Asheville but I work Canton to Morganton. NOt so much in Asheville :twitchy:

Thats funny, my dad was a top producer too(not for BCBS) and now sells securities but he is still into selling insurance. I live just down the road from you and my office is in Fletcher. If you ever want to meet up sometime just give me a call.

I dont sell to many MA plans but more Medsupps, FE, annuities and LTC.

Who does your dad work for?

Josh
</IMG>

I am against outsourcing my telemarketing. Reason #1 is liability... if they make non-compliant pitch, I am still held responsible. Reason #2 is cost... I can do it myself cheaper. Reason #3 is customer relations... I want them to know me from first contact.

I am especially concerned with off-shore telemarketing. The cultural/language barrier is highly prone to non-compliance issues. Also, what if you have a dispute about charges? Legal recourse is dismal here as well as with compliance responsiblity.

Thats funny, my dad was a top producer too(not for BCBS) and now sells securities but he is still into selling insurance. I live just down the road from you and my office is in Fletcher. If you ever want to meet up sometime just give me a call.

I dont sell to many MA plans but more Medsupps, FE, annuities and LTC.

Who does your dad work for?

Josh
</IMG>

He worked for himself for as long as I can remember. I actually live in Fairview so your even closer. All i seem to find anymore is people on MA's . WHen I find a supp they cant seem to pass the health questions :err:.

I don't sell Med Supps, so not sure if this is a good/bad idea...why not Market to Financial Advisors who have clients going into retirement? Most FA's don't do this stuff.

Rick, your presumptions are as good as mr. george bush.
Keep your eyes open for the next few days.

aslam

Hey Rick, did this death threat from aslam pan out ?

:bump::D

I have been selling Med Supps since 1993, still am. I do not sell PFFS plans. I work in rural Missouri only, not St. Louis or KC. HMO's are not available for those folks and in my opinion PFFS plans are not what they should have.

I have tried every method available to market to seniors and this is what I have discovered. Turning 65 people are a waste of my time. They know a whole lot more about Medicare than I do. It takes them a year or two before they realize that they probably need some guidance in finding the best way to invest their premium dollar.

Direct mail leads are nothing more than a name, address and phone number that you pay way too much money for. People have no recollection of ever filling out the card.

Internet leads are also way too expensive for what they are. Too many "tire kickers" and people who don't qualify.

Buy a list, about $100 per thousand names. Order it for people from 67 to 78 with income starting at $12,000 per year.

DO NOT HAVE A THIRD PARTY CALL THOSE PEOPLE. No one, but no one can do a better job of contacting your prospects than you can. Maybe some day when you are very well established you can look into that but for now do it yourself.

The main question you want to ask is who do they currently have their insurance with. If that is all the info you get from them that has been a successful phone call. Keep that information in a safe, secure place where you can easily and quickly get to it.

When you hear, for example, that Bankers Life has a premium increase bring up all the people you have talked to that told you they had Bankers for their Supplement. Pick up the phone and give them a call. They will be very interested in talking to you and are ripe for buying from you.

I have not purchased a list or leads for at least two years. Most of the Med Supp insurance is either referrals or people I have talked to 12, 24 and sometimes 36 months ago. It takes a while to build a prospects database that large but there is no time like the present to start.

Frank, please excuse the question...I'm a newb.

What source do you use to learn about rate increases for the supp companies?

Jeannie

Hey Rick, did this death threat from aslam pan out ?

:bump::D
Just like most others, we haven't heard back from this guy in quite awhile.

I've had "better" threats from others on this forum.

Rick

Frank, please excuse the question...I'm a newb.

What source do you use to learn about rate increases for the supp companies?

Jeannie

It's a good question.

Word of mouth is probably the best. Other agents, a good network of other agents in your area is the best. Prospects are also a good source.

As I call prospects, and after I ask who they have their insurance with, I always ask if their premiums are going up. They aren't a bit bashful about sharing that information with you.

Another good way is to call other insurance companies, tell them you are calling on behalf of your mother and would like to get some prices on their Medicare Supplement plans. They are equally eager to share this information with you.

I don't worry too much about what they are currently paying because I already know that 90% of them are going to have Plan F. It doesn't matter who they have their insurance with, I can usually blow Plan F out of the water simply by using logic. I also know, from past years, which companies usually have the most frequent increases and approximately how much they have been going up.

If their doctors accept assignment and they have Plan F they are paying way too much for their Supplement. I sell Plan D, occasionally Plan G if it is a lot less expensive, but when premium increases come around G along with F usually get the highest increases. I pretty much stay away from G also.

I sell Plan D for several reasons. It is less expensive than a Plan F, with some companies in Missouri almost $600 per year less. Unless companies increase all their supps by the same percentage, Plan D typically gets a smaller increase. Plan F always gets the highest increase.

Plan D has At Home Recovery, a $1,500 per benefit if they ever need it. Plan F does not.

When I meet with people who have an F and think they want another one I point out that the only reason the other agent sold them a Plan F is because it costs more. I tell them that all agents work on straight commission and therefore they make more money. That usually gets them ready to reach for a pen.

This is all assuming that their doctors accept assignment and in Missouri they virtually all do. There are some states that I have been told that a Plan F is less than a Plan D. Ain't so here.

Back