Ca Carriers

Too late, Blue Shield just announced 1/1/11 product cycle information which is fully available on the web site. All plans approved with filed rates and rate guide is available. I haven't looked at the underwritten PPO rates to see if they changed. I suspect not since they just went up 10/1/10.[/I]

Actually, the circular indicates average rate increases of around 18-22% and yes this is on top of similar increases effective 10-1.
:no:

I received the Blue Shield blast as well. They state that their plans are 100% compliant and approved...time to put in a 1/1/11 app with a diabetic, epileptic u19 and see what happens!

I can't say I understand the blackballing of Anthem when Blue Shield has now raised rates twice in 3 months.

Guys, check the Blue Shield Product cycle guide for 1/1/11 on page 4 and you'll see exactly why it was approved CDI so fast (BS L&H).

The bulk of rate change (79%) is 5% or under and only adjusted for PPACA benefits and gender-neutral change.

DMHC plans have a much higher rate increase.

I heard that Anthem's rates were reviewed by the independent actuary, determined sound and returned to the CDI, and then sent BACK to the actuary for "further review". Make of it what you will.

Guys, check the Blue Shield Product cycle guide for 1/1/11 on page 4 and you'll see exactly why it was approved CDI so fast (BS L&H).

The bulk of rate change (79%) is 5% or under and only adjusted for PPACA benefits and gender-neutral change.

DMHC plans have a much higher rate increase.

I heard that Anthem's rates were reviewed by the independent actuary, determined sound and returned to the CDI, and then sent BACK to the actuary for "further review". Make of it what you will.

Not to highjack, but what's your opinion of smaller, quarterly rate adjustment? (obviously an open question, not just Dave) I understand the bulk of this one was very low, but in my experience customers HATE rate increase letters, no matter how small. The first 1-2 go off without a hitch due to the low %, but after a year or so they feel like they are being nickeled and dimed.

....... when Blue Shield has now raised rates twice in 3 months.

That is not correct.
If your coverage was effective prior to 3.23.10, you are grandfathered.
The new 1.01.11 "non grandfathered" rates don't apply.
If after 3.23.10, you made a plan change w/BS of Ca, then yes, you lost your grandfathered status, and, yes, the "non grandfathered" rates apply.
Even so, in my region, the increase is minimal.

Pretty much as of today, yes. Anthem is still blacked out on their entire CDI portfolio and Health Net blacked out the web quotes on 11/18 and will terminate accepting any new business on 11/22.

Back