California IFP Health Agents HBEX Reminder

5. Navigators are separate outreach and enrollment entities and those defined as DBA cannot be navigators. Interestingly, Community Health Centers ARE tagged as navigators and not DBAs so they can collect the navigator fee. Navigators are paid $58 per enrollment no matter if it's one person or a family on the enrollment.

is this a one time payment of $58.00? Lets say you have a family of 4, would it be possible to write four sepearte individual policys? NJ currently pays squat (about 15.00 per month per policy) so we often split the family up. The only good thing about selling Indy in NJ is the commission remains constant for the life of the policy. If it is in fact a one time fee of $58.00 Its not worth your time. BTW NJ is currently a Guarantee Issue State, The rates are horrible and the commission STINKS! I despise getting calls from NJ and usually do it as a favor. MA & MED SUPP full steam ahead!

Best Wishes to all Agents

5. Navigators are separate outreach and enrollment entities and those defined as DBA cannot be navigators. Interestingly, Community Health Centers ARE tagged as navigators and not DBAs so they can collect the navigator fee. Navigators are paid $58 per enrollment no matter if it's one person or a family on the enrollment.

is this a one time payment of $58.00? Lets say you have a family of 4, would it be possible to write four sepearte individual policys? NJ currently pays squat (about 15.00 per month per policy) so we often split the family up. The only good thing about selling Indy in NJ is the commission remains constant for the life of the policy. If it is in fact a one time fee of $58.00 Its not worth your time. BTW NJ is currently a Guarantee Issue State, The rates are horrible and the commission STINKS! I despise getting calls from NJ and usually do it as a favor. MA & MED SUPP full steam ahead!

Best Wishes to all Agents

That $58 is for non-licensed NAVIGATORS. Agents and other "Direct Benefit Assisters" are recommended to be paid full commission by the insurance carriers inside and outside the exchange on a parity level.

Agents and other Direct Benefit Assisters are PROHIBITED from acting as Navigators. Therefore they are prohibited from being paid the $58 one-time fee to assist with enrollments.

Dave,

Although WV is a tiny state compared to CA, it looks like a similar model from what I have gathered from producer meetings/calls, etc.

I go to monthly meetings on behalf of NAHU as the state/local president, along with the Pres of the Big I and a big group producer from NAIFA who I know pretty well.

It is an interesting meeting....we seem to get along and see eye to eye with the exchange director (who is my age/an acquittance). He was once on the far, far left, but seems to understand the business model and now understands exactly what competent agents actually do for a living and has realized that agents serve a very valid purpose.

The state seems to have realized that navigators will serve the rural/uninsured/Medicaid population, and they seem to want our involvement since we already work in the business/white collar market, and do not want to deal with compensation and would rather "leave sleeping dogs lie". The three main producers/presidents of the associations at one point basically told the Exchange/OIC/workers that in order for this model to work, that producers must be compensated fairly (i.e. no more compensation cuts, and let the carriers and producers remain independent of the exchange).

I worry that the state will not be able to finance its own exchange and will eventually defer to the Fed, at which point agents will have little to no influence/control.

Thoughts?

The exchange in Utah pays $37.00 per head per month, right? $37.00 for an individual, family.....how does that work?

The exchange in Utah pays $37.00 per head per month, right? $37.00 for an individual, family.....how does that work?

I believe that figure is for small groups in Utah. I don't know what IFP pays brokers in that state. Perhaps one of our Utah agents could enlighten us on this.

Here is a list of IFP and Small Group broker comp by state both as % and PMPM from 2010.

Insurance Broker Fees - Kaiser State Health Facts

I believe that figure is for small groups in Utah. I don't know what IFP pays brokers in that state. Perhaps one of our Utah agents could enlighten us on this.

Here is a list of IFP and Small Group broker comp by state both as % and PMPM from 2010.

Insurance Broker Fees - Kaiser State Health Facts

how in the world is Kaiser calculating these figures? It states PA is 8.60 per member per month. Is this a lifetime average? My first year per member per month averages over 35.00.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dave,

Although WV is a tiny state compared to CA, it looks like a similar model from what I have gathered from producer meetings/calls, etc.

I go to monthly meetings on behalf of NAHU as the state/local president, along with the Pres of the Big I and a big group producer from NAIFA who I know pretty well.

It is an interesting meeting....we seem to get along and see eye to eye with the exchange director (who is my age/an acquittance). He was once on the far, far left, but seems to understand the business model and now understands exactly what competent agents actually do for a living and has realized that agents serve a very valid purpose.

The state seems to have realized that navigators will serve the rural/uninsured/Medicaid population, and they seem to want our involvement since we already work in the business/white collar market, and do not want to deal with compensation and would rather "leave sleeping dogs lie". The three main producers/presidents of the associations at one point basically told the Exchange/OIC/workers that in order for this model to work, that producers must be compensated fairly (i.e. no more compensation cuts, and let the carriers and producers remain independent of the exchange).

I worry that the state will not be able to finance its own exchange and will eventually defer to the Fed, at which point agents will have little to no influence/control.

Thoughts?

37.00 per individaul per month would work fine for me :yes:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
That $58 is for non-licensed NAVIGATORS. Agents and other "Direct Benefit Assisters" are recommended to be paid full commission by the insurance carriers inside and outside the exchange on a parity level.

Agents and other Direct Benefit Assisters are PROHIBITED from acting as Navigators. Therefore they are prohibited from being paid the $58 one-time fee to assist with enrollments.

key phrase here is full commission inside and outside. I believe thats what all indy agents are looking for. thanks for the info.

Last edited:
how in the world is Kaiser calculating these figures? It states PA is 8.60 per member per month. Is this a lifetime average? My first year per member per month averages over 35.00.

Remember, these Kaiser numbers are based on total policies versus total commission paid out. It is going to include all IFP for which no agent commission was paid out (conversion, HIPAA, Direct Sales, etc.) which brings the number down.

Latest posts

Back