marindependent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Even Newsweek is jumping into covering this ongoing disaster.

California's Insurance Crisis Is Spiraling Out of Control
By Giulia Carbonaro
US News Reporter

The ongoing home insurance crisis in California is about to deepen as yet another company has announced its withdrawal from the state over profitability concerns.

American National, a private insurer headquartered in Texas, has informed the California Department of Insurance that it will stop offering homeowner insurance policies by this fall and will begin sending nonrenewal notices to customers as early as August, Insurance Business reported.

American National is the latest in a series of private insurers operating in California that have announced intentions to leave the state or cease offering new policies because of rising costs and decreasing profits. Before the Texas insurer, State Farm, Allstate and Farmers paused new policies in the state or set new caps on them, affecting millions of policyholders. Together, the three companies cover over 40 percent of the state's home insurance market.

The withdrawal of American National is also expected to affect tens of thousands of California residents. As of December, American National counted a total of 36,475 homeowner policies in the Golden State, worth about $37.9 million in premiums, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

In addition to California, American National plans to withdraw from eight states because of declining profits: Arkansas, Colorado, Louisiana, Minnesota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, and Washington.

The timing of the withdrawal has not been confirmed, according to the company. Newsweek contacted American National for comment by email outside of business hours.

"This action is driven by significant and persistent profitability issues in the homeowners insurance market," a company spokesperson said in a statement to the outlet, attributing the decision to "inflationary pressures driving up costs, increasing claims frequency and competitive market conditions."

The reduction in policies and exodus of private insurers have left many California homeowners scrambling for options, leading to a surge in the number of policies under the FAIR Plan, a backstop insurer that offers basic fire insurance when traditional insurers do not.

In October, the FAIR Plan reported getting 1,000 policy applications a day, and 350,000 California homeowners are estimated to be covered by what should be an insurer of last resort. Homeowners insured with the FAIR Plan pay higher rates and must purchase separate policies for theft, liability and water coverage—but finding a better alternative has become difficult.

The insurance crisis in California is deepening at a time when homeowners in the state are becoming more vulnerable to the risk of extreme weather events—such as wildfires, which have always been common in the state but are expected to become more frequent and more severe as a result of global warming.
It's this increased risk that leads insurers to leave the state, as they consider the estimated costs of damages they may have to pay policyholders in the near future.

The rise of home insurance premiums in California is controlled by the insurance commissioner, who must approve a rate hike requested by an insurer before it's implemented, according to Proposition 103, a law passed in 1988. While the measure is meant to protect policyholders from sudden increases, it has kept private insurers from rising prices enough to keep up with growing costs.

Governor Gavin Newsom's administration has tried for months to stabilize the market, urging the California Department of Insurance to expand coverage options.

#RicardoLara #Californiainsurancenightmare

Rising costs, more claims, and tough competition are making it hard for companies. This move is going to affect tens of thousands of homeowners, pushing many towards the FAIR Plan, which is more expensive and offers less coverage ..

Nevada is creeping up on them as far as property insurance goes. The reason aside from the usual? You guessed it Californians moving here and bring their habits and policies.
Can you please provide proof that people moving from California to Nevada have added to the cost increases? I cannot find any article or study that cites this.

Can you please provide proof that people moving from California to Nevada have added to the cost increases? I cannot find any article or study that cites this.
Since 2020 when an explosion of people from LA County have moved here the entire city has changed. Including auto and home premiums. In addition, the less business friendly state policies have led to carrier rate increase requests being limited or denied. Which has led to numerous carriers halting business or leaving all together- Swyfft, Hippo, CSE, Kemper, Nevada General, Badger are just a few that come to mind in last 36 months.

I suspect if an article did exist it wouldn't change your mind one way or another anyway. I can see it and anyone who actual lives and works here knows it. I am sorry if I offended your liberal sensibilities.

Since 2020 when an explosion of people from LA County have moved here the entire city has changed. Including auto and home premiums. In addition, the less business friendly state policies have led to carrier rate increase requests being limited or denied. Which has led to numerous carriers halting business or leaving all together- Swyfft, Hippo, CSE, Kemper, Nevada General, Badger are just a few that come to mind in last 36 months.

I suspect if an article did exist it wouldn't change your mind one way or another anyway. I can see it and anyone who actual lives and works here knows it. I am sorry if I offended your liberal sensibilities.
Change my mind, from what? All I asked for was proof of your statement that a contributing factor to the rise in cost was due to Californians moving to Nevada. I have no idea either way. I have been on this forum for some 15 years and very much enjoy watching people make fools of themselves.

Back