Calling Businesses Off Reference USA

WWM231

Does anyone here cold call off the business lists created from the Reference USA database?

And if so, is there anyway to get in trouble calling those numbers from a DNC standpoint, such as if the number given doubles as a cell phone or home business number?

Perhaps I'm just a bit paranoid but I know a lot of business numbers sign up for the DNC list even though they legally don't qualify. Unfortunately that means that my current scrubbing software doesn't let me call those numbers even though I should be able to.

Don't worry about DNC if the number is listed as business. If they give out their home number for business, then you are okay to call.

And if so, is there anyway to get in trouble calling those numbers from a DNC standpoint, such as if the number given doubles as a cell phone or home business number?

There is and there isn't. DNC regulations are often misunderstood which is easy, because they are confusing.

Regardless of where you get your data, as has been referenced many times by many posters, it's virtually all compiled from the same sources. For example, business data can be picked up as public records and it may be the case that Suzie Q. Smith sells avon to a few of her friends so she goes down to the county courthouse and gives them $15 for a DBA. As part of her filing she includes her home and her cell phone. Sure, that cell phone is a "residential" number and it's now been filed as a business. If you call that number to sell aluminum siding for single family homes you're more likely to have a problem then if you call about selling workers compensation, does that make sense? You should also take into consideration that most folks, if apologized to, won't bother figuring out how to file a complaint or where to file it. Even if a complaint is filed, there is a good chance almost nothing will come of it. For the most part those laws are used as a way of deterring larger operations from constantly harassing consumers. An occasional mistake to a wrong number is not going to set off the radar or send the FTC coming you way.

To be safe, I would keep a record of where you purchased the list and make sure that when you're calling on businesses you're being obvious about selling insurance (or whatever) to a business, and not to a consumer.

Sorry for bringing back this old post, but:

Doesn't ReferenceUSA make sure a number is not on the do not call list before they display the information?

That is what they told me when I called. However, after being told that, when I did a quick search they posted this messege above the results, "Telephone numbers displayed may be on the Do-Not-Call list and should not be used for solicitation. You are responsible for the compliance with federal, local and state laws."

Can anyone clarify this?

Sorry for bringing back this old post, but:

Doesn't ReferenceUSA make sure a number is not on the do not call list before they display the information?

That is what they told me when I called. However, after being told that, when I did a quick search they posted this messege above the results, "Telephone numbers displayed may be on the Do-Not-Call list and should not be used for solicitation. You are responsible for the compliance with federal, local and state laws."

Can anyone clarify this?

There is no do not call list for businesses....only households.

ReferenceUSA also has households and will give you the telephone number. However, it is YOUR job to screen the telephone numbers before calling. I don't think you can pin it back on them - especially if you are using ReferenceUSA (a free library service) versus SalesGenie or InfoUSA (paid services).

Back