Calling Vs Doorknocking

Will be entering the senior market waiting I am looking forward to door knocking. No such thing as do not knock list.

I think Frank makes a great point seniors are bombarded with telemarketers/agents etc. Face to face with a female, cute, non-threatening professional like me might get me a few clients.

Face to face with a female, cute, non-threatening professional like me might get me a few clients.

I think that sounds like a recipe for success.

Don't forget to add relaxed and conversational. People, especially seniors, love to be helped to make a purchase, almost everyone hates for someone to try to sell them something.

Don't sell them, educate them using factual information presented logically so they can understand it and in the process guide them to the company and plan that is the best investment of their premium dollar.

You are the professional, you know what is the best Med Supp Plan and company for them. Don't ask them to make the decision. If they knew as much as you do they wouldn't need your help.

I find that going door to door is most effective in smaller, close-knit neighborhoods where everybody knows one another. That way you can say:

“I was just talking with Mrs. Jones about…”

If their neighbors listened, there must be something to hear.

I've been door knocking in a fairly large city for years and average one sale a day. Sometimes it takes me 1/2 an hour, some days it takes 8 hours. With everyone switching to cell phones and getting on the DNC list, it's inevitable that more and more agents will start knocking. I believe a woman could have an easier time as they're not as threatening as a men. However, for the same reason it can be more dangerous. I'm a fairly big man and I get invited into 1/3 of the homes I knock on. The key is to be very relaxed as Frank mentioned. I would be interested to see how often a woman gets invited into a home with all things being equal.

Last edited:
I've been door knocking in a fairly large city for years and average one sale a day. Sometimes it takes me 1/2 an hour, some days it takes 8 hours. With everyone switching to cell phones and getting on the DNC list, it's inevitable that more and more agents will start knocking. I believe a woman could have an easier time as they're not as threatening as a men. However, for the same reason it can be more dangerous. I'm a fairly big man and I get invited into 1/3 of the homes I knock on. The key is to be very relaxed as Frank mentioned. I would be interested to see how often a woman gets invited into a home with all things being equal.

Med supps?

As a female, I would like to know from other ladies how successful you all have been and what safety measures are you taking. Do you go in and sit down even if only a male is at home?

I go door to door and have experienced success. The top agents in my agency only go door to door. We are training other agents how to do this as well. We focus on annuities and life insurance.

Male vs. Female is an interesting question we have been looking at, but more important than that is personality. The most important trait we have seen in successful agents is resilience as there will be rude people who slam the door in your face. You need to be able to easily overcome rejection.

We knock on doors of people with an expressed need. They requested information via a mailer. We have knocked completely cold on T65's, but the mailers have proven to be worth the extra cost.

I personally have had more success door knocking people over 65 than under age 65 for a variety of reasons. Some are obvious (such as they are more likely to be home) and others may be generational (such as they are more likely to want to deal with someone face-to-face.)

Because I've had success door knocking, I haven't tried other methods lately. However, one agent who just started working with us told me she has dramatically increased her sales simply by switching her seminar follow-up phone calls to follow-up door knocks....

I have found that cold calling is better time management than cold knocking.

Go out and try both for a few days, I think that both skills are very important to have. It seems like every time that I have went "cold knocking" that I spent half of my time driving around picking out the right neighborhood, half of my time prospecting, and half of the time walking back to my car to go to a convenience store to use the restroom and get a drink.

At the least learning to Knock on doors will help you out with neighbors and burning time between appointments.

I always suggest switching it up from time to time.....sometimes knocking on doors sometimes calling....if you can hang some door hangers in areas where you are doing apptments as well.

For more ideas and competitive products contact me

Back