Can I appoint myself?

NicoleCuervez

I've been a licensed Life Insurance Agent for just over a year now. I work at an independent agency that has gotten me appointed to 5 different companies. Well I'm over the cold calling and I'm wanting to take my business into my own hands. I'll also note that I'm currently working on my 220. So my question is, can I form an LLC and make my own appointments?

50421178.jpg

I've been a licensed Life Insurance Agent for just over a year now. I work at an independent agency that has gotten me appointed to 5 different companies. Well I'm over the cold calling and I'm wanting to take my business into my own hands. I'll also note that I'm currently working on my 220. So my question is, can I form an LLC and make my own appointments?
we dont understand your question....are you wanting to get appointed to insurance companies, or set your own sales appointments, like your schedule to sell people?

Hes wondering if he can get appointed directly with big insurers. The answer as far as I'm aware is not if you dont have a large enough downstream

You can work for yourself and be your own boss even without forming your own LLC.

There are plenty of IMOs out there who work for you, not require you to work for them. Meaning they are just a middleman who facilitates the contracting/appointment with various carriers for independent agents. They also often offer some backroom type support for case design and uw followup. You work under your own name, etc. They just are a conduit to contract with carriers.

You could also form your own LLC. but you will still need a middleman, IMO or FMO, to contract with most carriers. So forming the LLC is more for tax purposes than anything.

Some carriers do allow direct contracting without using an IMO/FMO, such as American National, Penn Mutual, Ohio National, Guardian, Midland National, Ameritas to name a few.

The only reason to "work under" or "work for" someone elses indy agency, is if they are giving you support of some type.

Back