Can I Still File Collision Claim for Damage from Several Months Ago? (door/fender Damage in Snow)

A $1500 at fault accident is treated the same as a $100,000 at fault accident, yes.

There are other variances on this, such as if bodily injury claims are done, certain citations issued, whatever. But the amount of property damage / car damage doesn't really matter. Please note that this is a bit shorthanded, in some very low dollar claims, it may not be rated, but over that threshold, they are the same.

Also, in some cases, carriers give certain discounts that might go away even with accident forgiveness. This would be like a claims free discount, where now that you have a claim, the discount goes away, but due to accident forgiveness, you are not surcharged for the added risk. Most of these types of discounts are minor, always worth having, but you don't usually notice them that much (compared to an accident surcharge).

I have no idea how Geico's policies work, so I can't offer advice specific to them.

Dan

A $1500 at fault accident is treated the same as a $100,000 at fault accident, yes.

There are other variances on this, such as if bodily injury claims are done, certain citations issued, whatever. But the amount of property damage / car damage doesn't really matter. Please note that this is a bit shorthanded, in some very low dollar claims, it may not be rated, but over that threshold, they are the same.

Also, in some cases, carriers give certain discounts that might go away even with accident forgiveness. This would be like a claims free discount, where now that you have a claim, the discount goes away, but due to accident forgiveness, you are not surcharged for the added risk. Most of these types of discounts are minor, always worth having, but you don't usually notice them that much (compared to an accident surcharge).

I have no idea how Geico's policies work, so I can't offer advice specific to them.

Dan

I imagine having a $100,000 claim can send future premium through the roof, no?

As for taking away the discount even with accident insurance, I don't think they can take away the multi-car discount($372 each 6 months) that I current have. Or can they? That's the biggest discount on my policy. The rest of the discounts are all small.($50 to $88)

----------

Pasted the relevant NC code below. Bottom line, you will be quizzed about why it took you so long to file the claim, and since you have exceeded the 180 days, you will probably have to jump through a number of hoops, but you should be able to file. Just be honest and it will go smoothly.

just finished speaking with a Geico adjuster at a local bodyshop. She said I wouldn't be able to get my claim through because it's been more than 30 days. She said that unless my initial claim(phone, internet, in person) was filed with Geico with 30 days, my claim will be denied.

Is it just me or does 30-day seem way too short?

Should I give up and just pay the $2450 repair myself? Or is there some way I can fight this? :(

As for taking away the discount even with accident insurance, I don't think they can take away the multi-car discount($372 each 6 months) that I current have. Or can they? That's the biggest discount on my policy. The rest of the discounts are all small.($50 to $88)

----------

just finished speaking with a Geico adjuster at a local bodyshop. She said I wouldn't be able to get my claim through because it's been more than 30 days. She said that unless my initial claim(phone, internet, in person) was filed with Geico with 30 days, my claim will be denied.

Should I give up and just pay the $2450 repair myself? Or is there some way I can fight this? :(
I would look at your policy or ask the adjuster where it says there is a 30 day limitation.

Or just say it happened last week :) Might be hard to explain the snow though....

And for the record, adjusters are really good at knowing things happened a 'while' back. I don't recommend trying to 'fib' about the accident date.

No different than a $5000 claim, which is no different than a $1500 claim. I don't recommend knocking a building over to test this, but the claim amount doesn't really impact the accident surcharge.

---

File your claim anyway, make them send a denial letter. There is a clause in your policy (in most anyway) that require the timely reporting of claims. That is what they will base it on. Once you get the denial, file the appeal. If that doesn't work, send it to the state Department of Insurance.

This is the hassle you get for waiting so long to file the claim. Would have been a non-issue inside of the 30 day window.

Dan

I'd check the policy contract. It may be longer in other states or with other companies, but in my own opinion, 30 days is plenty of time.

Could you explain what that means? ACV = actual cash(cost?) value. On my policy document, it shows "acv minus $1000" under comprehensive coversage - collision. How does ACV apply for a collision repair?

THanks!
ACV = Actual Cash Value. This typically can be described as replacement cost value (RCV = what it would take to replace with new material) minus depreciation, which is generally based on age and anticipated use life (ie: a 5 year old item with a 10 year anticipated use life would see 50% depreciation). At times it may be appropriate for depreciation to be based on condition rather than age, if the item is in mint condition or is completely worn out. Most adjusters will stay away from this method of depreciation, however, as it allows for an opinion to influence the value of the claim, and claims are driven by facts.

I posted the NC code for you. Look it up yourself.
Here is a link to the NC Department of Insurance consumer guide:
http://www.ncdoi.com/LH/Documents/Checklists/NorthCarolinaDepartmentOfInsurancePromptPayGuidance.pdf

Just something else to think about, if you do file the claim, the Geico guy will write a ~$1800 estimate, not the $2100-2500 you are being quoted... and the shop(s) will repair it for that.

Back