Can Marketplace Health Insurance Terminate for Not Sending In Documents?

I have so many clients getting APTC, and only on Social Security or make too little money that they don't need to file taxes..............but now they do.

Coming to a theater near you.

---------------------
H&R Block warns of PPACA tax filing danger | LifeHealthPro

But consumers who have accurate 1095-A forms and fail to file returns, or who fail to file 8962s once they have their 1095-As, could end up losing their subsidies, H&R Block says.

H&R Block and other tax preparation firms have reported seeing a surprisingly small number of exchange plan users come in for help with their taxes so far this tax season.

"There still could be a large segment of taxpayers, in the millions, who received an APTC and have yet to file,"
the company says.

H&R Block and other tax preparation firms have reported seeing a surprisingly small number of exchange plan users come in for help with their taxes so far this tax season.

"There still could be a large segment of taxpayers, in the millions, who received an APTC and have yet to file,"
H&R Block says.

The IRS says that as of 3-27-2015, 92% of filers are doing so electronically. Highest percentage ever.

Ref: Haven't Done Your Taxes Yet? You've Got Plenty of Company - NBC News

When someone gets their taxes done at an H&R Block office, this is still considered electronic filing, isn't it?

AC,

Yes, all that matters is how it's sent, not where it's sent from.

Why pay for printing and postage and have it take longer? E-file is good for business, and I'd wager a big portion of that figure is professionals submitting on a client's behalf.

Just as I thought, Ray. Thanks for replying. Filed my Fed taxes today. The software (HR Block Premium) gets a little better each year.

Short answer: YES

This is a new one, thought I'd share (sorry about the novel).

Guy walks in today, referred to me by a friend of his. He was enrolled on-exchange in December (not with me, a different agent in a neighboring town who is not responding to this man's repeated calls) for a 2-1 start date. Marketplace asked for income documents (and proof of citizenship for his daughter). According to him, they sent both. They seem to have accepted the daughter's citizenship proof, but didn't like his income proof.

So, rather than just taking away his subsidy with insufficient income proof, they termed them both effective 4-30-15. But, in the meanwhile I guess the IRS sent his 2014 taxes that he just filed to the marketplace. His 2014 income was a little more than what he estimated for 2015 in his application, but not that much more. So, rather than a $300 subsidy and CSR he is now eligible for $275 subsidy and CSR. But, they still termed him on the original plan rather than just applying the new subsidy.

His marketplace account now says he has eligibility results (with a special election) and he needs to pick a plan and enroll. No mention of the proof of citizenship needed, must have worked itself out. This was all done automatically. Even with the special election and loss of coverage 4-30, 6-1 is the earliest start date for his particular case, so there will be a 1 month gap in coverage. Original carrier will not reinstate, termination stands. We had to call the marketplace twice and the carrier once to figure all of this out.

I helped him enroll in a new plan that his doctors actually take (was having difficulties with original carrier) for a 6-1 start date.

I am not sure how it is going to work with the other agent or if I will have a problem. I think it was done through a webbroker like Sherpa, because we had to pull the app into his marketplace account (he had one set up, it just wasn't populated with his 2015 app). So, the original app number I am assuming had the old agent's info on it. I did not go back into the original app or make changes (marketplace had already done that automatically), I only helped him with the plan selection and enrollment. (section marked "is someone else helping you select a plan and enroll" at the end was completely blank, I populated with my info.)

Although, now that I am thinking about it, maybe the other agent was erased off as another thread has discussed when the change was made.

So, we'll see. When he said he was working with another agent, I tried to refer him back to them, but he said no way because they won't return a phone call.

Anyway, weird and wondering if we are going to see a lot of situations like this. But a happy ending as I gained a new client and he got a plan that his doctors accept.

Those clean-up cases like that are so much work: I'd rather start from the beginning with a client. I have a lot of people call me that have totally messed up their own file and I have to find out what went wrong and fix it. That's been the bulk of the business I've gotten in this extension period.

Happened again.

Client lost entire premium and 87% CSR.
Price went form $120/mo to $800/mo
deductible went from $1100 to $3500
AND, the agent info was removed from the app.

There is no way to win.

Happened again.

Client lost entire premium and 87% CSR.
Price went form $120/mo to $800/mo
deductible went from $1100 to $3500
AND, the agent info was removed from the app.

There is no way to win.

Yes; so frustrating .... feels like a sinking ship when that happens.

Back