Can Someone Buy Off Exchange, if Employer Coverage is Lousy?

cadylou

Guru
100+ Post Club
They do not qualify or want a subsidy. Do they get stuck with employer's inadequate coverage, or can they buy off exchange & just pay for it?

They do not qualify or want a subsidy. Do they get stuck with employer's inadequate coverage, or can they buy off exchange & just pay for it?

They can buy off exchange - as long as they qualify for an SEP or there's a plan that allows year round enrollment. Remember, them choosing to drop their employer sponsored coverage is not an SEP.

They'd be leaving the job and losing that coverage. Then they want to buy an off exchange plan if new employer's plan stinks.

you cannot leave employer coverage just because the coverage "Stinks" or
is costly. If coverage is lost because the employer cancels the policy then that would create a qualifying event.

you cannot leave employer coverage just because the coverage "Stinks" or is costly.

I wasn't aware COBRA or Obamacare required you to get riffed to create a SEP.

If you lose your job, regardless of the reason, you have lost coverage.

I wasn't aware COBRA or Obamacare required you to get riffed to create a SEP. If you lose your job, regardless of the reason, you have lost coverage.

If you take COBRA, you don't get an SEP. Otherwise, in this case the person is fine since they are leaving their current job and therefore don't qualify for the insurance anymore. They can therefore sign up on or off exchange. When they get a new job, they can compare their current coverage to the employer coverage and stay with the plan they have if they want since there is no subsidy involved.

If you take COBRA, you don't get an SEP.

That was not the reason for my post. PAhealth posted "you cannot leave employer coverage just because the coverage "Stinks" or is costly."

Opting out of the group plan and involuntary loss of coverage are not the same thing.

That was not the reason for my post. PAhealth posted "you cannot leave employer coverage just because the coverage "Stinks" or is costly."

Opting out of the group plan and involuntary loss of coverage are not the same thing.

They are not "opting out of a group plan". They are leaving a job - hence, losing coverage. They wanted to know if they could then buy off exchange - even if a new employer they ended up with later had insurance offered in the workplace but it was lousy. They do not want a subsidy.

I believe they would not have to give up their off-exchange family policy to join the employer based plan - right?

They are not "opting out of a group plan". They are leaving a job - hence, losing coverage. They wanted to know if they could then buy off exchange - even if a new employer they ended up with later had insurance offered in the workplace but it was lousy. They do not want a subsidy.

I believe they would not have to give up their off-exchange family policy to join the employer based plan - right?

Wrong, they can keep their OFF exchange policy, and not join the group.

If they were ON exchange, and receiving subsidies, then they would lose the subsidies if offered group, and group would be the better move.

Back