Cancelling a MAPD app during AEP

Limozine

Super Genius
Here's the scenario: an individual is currently on a Med Supp and PDP for 2022. The individual signs up to try an MAPD for 2023, then changes his mind a week later. If he just cancels the MAPD app, does the current (2022) PDP automatically stay in place for 2023, or will the individual need to re-apply for his PDP to "overwrite" the MAPD app?

Here's the scenario: an individual is currently on a Med Supp and PDP for 2022. The individual signs up to try an MAPD for 2023, then changes his mind a week later. If he just cancels the MAPD app, does the current (2022) PDP automatically stay in place for 2023, or will the individual need to re-apply for his PDP to "overwrite" the MAPD app?

My brain and body is running on fumes, but I have run into this before, and REASONABLY sure he will have to enroll in a PDP before 12/7 to uncouple from the MAPD with free everything . . .

I've never gotten a straight answer, but what I've always done is simply follow the "last app in wins" rule and re-enroll in the PDP, effectually canceling the MAPD and re-enrolling in the proper PDP - simple and clean.

The pdp will stay in force . The pdp was not officially cancelled till Dec 31st. When he cancels the mapd the pdp is no longer cancelled Dec 31st. All he has to do is 2 weeks after canceling the mapd call the pdp company and verify “ My pdp won’t be cancelled dec31st” . Also just like he got a cancellation letter from his pdp alerting him his pdp cancels Dec 31st he should get a letter saying its no lon get cancelled . I alert all mapd’s i write to replace another pdp they will be getting a cancellation letter their plan is cancelling Dec 31st. Throw the letter away as your current plan runs until Dec 31. I spend 5 mins of my presentation about how the cancellation letter and how your mapd company will call you trying to get you to keep the plan . If you don’t do this some of the people will get scared and cancel your app thinking they have no ins. Like now during aep I’ve had a few clients tricked on the phone into switching . The easiest way instead of being on hold for 60 mins with the carrier and client to cancel the app is rewrite their orginal plan .

Back