Bcbs MAPD commission errors

Hello,

I live in Minnesota and I know all the BCBS companies are independent so my comment is directed to BCBSMN. Would like to know if it’s across the states.

I have had so many commission errors with this company. Members change their address and a full flat cancel occurs on my commission report. Or if the company rewrites the member for any reason at all. BCBS had a plan number change with their MA only plans (veteran’s) we had to rewrite all of them to the new plan number. BCBS insisted we would remain AOR if the member happened to call in and ask for online help or rewrite them. My gut was telling me this is going to be a problem. I was right…. These people are no longer under my name. Any change at all and I fall off. It’s a big issue every single year. So many thousands of lost commission. Does everyone have this issue? If so, we need to get together and notify the commissioner as a group. We shouldn’t have to fight for what we are worth every year with these insurance companies CMS will take away overrides so it’s a fair game for all companies. It’s never fair if a company can’t pay out commissions correctly. The truth is, this is years in the making and they don’t care enough to change. No support for us independent agent.

3 years ago, our local BCBS chargedback about 20 grand to our agency in error. 2 years ago we had to follow up on everything new written with them to get paid. This year they failed to pay on about 3 grand worth of work. We don't use them very often, but some people either had them with work or their father's father's father and his whole blood line have them and that is what they want.

I sent our local rep a pretty scathing email after I discovered the missing payments this year. I did get an immediate call, but resolution doesn't take place until their next month's commission payment. I asked her if I can call my mortgage company and tell them I had an internal error, but they would get paid next month. She didn't have much to say after that.

I like their local customer service, I like our market reps but they are a presented upon request carrier for us.

Thanks for your response. Sounds like what I’m going through. Looks like I have written about 100 plans with them and about a 10% commission error. Not nearly as much as you and I’m sorry you had to take that time to fix things. I am still trying to fix commission errors from last year. Since I’m not big enough, nobody helps much. Takes a couple of weeks to even respond to me or I may get no response at all. My guess is that this is very much across the board and BCBS is making thousands from their errors

BCBS of Mn is the only company I have problems with. You have to continuously track commissions with them. I knew the MA Freedom plan change was going to be an issue. I personally rewrote every customer. Thankfully, it was only 25 or so. After spending 3 hours auditing todays statement, I have not been paid on 146 apps. I guess I will have to wait until next month.

Oh Dear!!!! I’m definitely not alone! They also denied a member from reapplying for their freedom Blue plan due to end stage renal disease. All we did was reapply during AEP. She was already on it for two years. They apparently had sent her a letter asking if she has ESRD and the letter wasn’t returned so they denied her. She said she never received any letter asking for additional info. Just a denial letter saying it was voluntary denial on her part. We reapplied again during AEP and they did the same thing. No outreach to the member and no letter sent.

She was fed up with Medicare and dropped part B and went onto her group after BCBS played with her. She also has Tricare so completely covered. She was triple covered and the sad part, BCBS wouldn’t have even paid anything anyway. She had her coverage at work, her husbands coverage as secondary and Medicare / Tricare. The rule is an insurance company can’t deny anyone applying for a MA due to ESRD nor is it even in the applications we write. BCBS went against Medicare by denying someone with this. I can see they wanting to ask after a plan is written for help with care coordination but definitely not before. She is better off on her employer plan and we went ahead and filled out the paperwork to cancel her part B. Just felt bad for her but she is better off now. She didn’t need to be on Medicare anyway.

Back