Captive to Indy + Relocation Advice

mac_

Just left captive agency to become INDEPENDENT :idea:

My main question is this:

Should I use this transitional decision as an opportunity to relocate to a new state if it's something that my wife and I have wanted to do for a few years now (kids are still small, (oldest starts in about 2 years)

- Basically, I have a good grasp on what I stand to lose out on by leaving the community in which I grew up and also sold into for the past 3 years, however I am more interested in gaining insight on the potential for risk/success in starting out as an independent in a brand new territory in a brand new state.

Below I have added some info for better context:

-Sold life only for captive agency for just under 3 years full time
-(90% sold was FE)
-Looking to stick with FE sales (mostly if not exclusively) but may want to finish Health license so I can offer MedicareSupp which only makes sense with FE demo.
-Only aspect of the FE marketing/sales cycle I don't have experience in is prospecting (outside of referral collecting) due to the fact that ex-agency provided leads.
Lastly, would be moving from PA (Pittsburgh) to TX (Dallas/Fort Worth)

Basically, I'm looking for insight (pros/cons) from any independents out there who made the decision to move and start from scratch in a new part of the country:

1. Do you wish you'd have done it sooner that way you didn't keep building up clients in a region you were moving away from?

or

2. Do you wish you wouldn't have made the decision to move so quickly, giving you time to establish your new responsibilities (which will be new to me) going form captive to independent in your home town, possibly providing a smoother transition?

*Looking for insight from anyone, not just those that have dealt with this EXACT scenario, as I understand that I'm asking a very focused question.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can speak to/offer up any recommendations, past experiences or pitfalls associated with what I'm looking to do!

mac_

Last edited:
Just left captive agency to become INDEPENDENT :idea:

My main question is this:

Should I use this transitional decision as an opportunity to relocate to a new state if it's something that my wife and I have wanted to do for a few years now (kids are still small, (oldest starts in about 2 years)

- Basically, I have a good grasp on what I stand to lose out on by leaving the community in which I grew up and also sold into for the past 3 years, however I am more interested in gaining insight on the potential for risk/success in starting out as an independent in a brand new territory in a brand new state.

Below I have added some info for better context:

-Sold life only for captive agency for just under 3 years full time
-(90% sold was FE)
-Looking to stick with FE sales (mostly if not exclusively) but may want to finish Health license so I can offer MedicareSupp which only makes sense with FE demo.
-Only aspect of the FE marketing/sales cycle I don't have experience in is prospecting (outside of referral collecting) due to the fact that ex-agency provided leads.
Lastly, would be moving from PA (Pittsburgh) to TX (Dallas/Fort Worth)

Basically, I'm looking for insight (pros/cons) from any independents out there who made the decision to move and start from scratch in a new part of the country:

1. Do you wish you'd have done it sooner that way you didn't keep building up clients in a region you were moving away from?

or

2. Do you wish you wouldn't have made the decision to move so quickly, giving you time to establish your new responsibilities (which will be new to me) going form captive to independent in your home town, possibly providing a smoother transition?

*Looking for insight from anyone, not just those that have dealt with this EXACT scenario, as I understand that I'm asking a very focused question.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can speak to/offer up any recommendations, past experiences or pitfalls associated with what I'm looking to do!

mac_
I would talk to Spur City in the Final Expense forum. He's a straight shooter. Seasoned Texan too.

I would talk to Spur City in the Final Expense forum. He's a straight shooter. Seasoned Texan too.

Thank you thomasm, I will do that! I noticed you're in Utah? That happens to be the only other state my wife has been obsessing over lately. Of course, that was until I informed her she wouldn't be escaping the snow...:nah:

Back