Care, Custody, and Control?

VaDwayne

Guru
1000 Post Club
I was in a class the other day and the instructor said that "all" G.L policies excludes this coverage. I can't remember seeing one that didn't exclude it but the word "all" seems pretty broad. Do you know of any carriers that don't exclude this coverage.

As someone who's BOB is probablyl 90% contractors, this is a huge selling point as most agents don't even know anything about it, and most contractors don't have the coverage. The majority of contractors just assume that they have coverage for something that belongs to others that is in their possession, or control, under their Bodily Injury/Property damage coverage.

Assuming you are referring to property loss/damage, this makes total sense as its a GL policy, not a BOP.

The corollary to this is why you add garage keepers coverage to auto repair shops. Add it or pay the loss.....

Dan

Assuming you are referring to property loss/damage, this makes total sense as its a GL policy, not a BOP.

The corollary to this is why you add garage keepers coverage to auto repair shops. Add it or pay the loss.....

Dan

I agree.. I actually just wrote a garage yesterday. I am always skeptical when someone uses the word "all". There are many different people on the forum, who represent many different carriers that I don't. Just curious as to what other carriers do.

I use the "care, custody, control" issue a lot as most people that I speak to are shocked when they find out thy don't have it.

I think when you add more than liability, it becomes more than a GL policy. Now, there are a LOT of hybrid policies out there, so I understand the hesitancy about the use of the term 'ALL', but I think in terms of a true GL policy, it should be a safe statement.

The other side of this is business owners have what they think of as GL policies, that have riders that include more coverages they are not aware of (if the agent did their job) or they actually have a BOP and they have no clue what they really have. Most business owners rely on their agent to take care of this stuff for them, which is good for the agent.

Dan

I was in a class the other day and the instructor said that "all" G.L policies excludes this coverage. I can't remember seeing one that didn't exclude it but the word "all" seems pretty broad. Do you know of any carriers that don't exclude this coverage.

As someone who's BOB is probablyl 90% contractors, this is a huge selling point as most agents don't even know anything about it, and most contractors don't have the coverage. The majority of contractors just assume that they have coverage for something that belongs to others that is in their possession, or control, under their Bodily Injury/Property damage coverage.

How would one endorse this coverage? Property of others?

So, contractor is in possession of customer goods, lets say expensive cabinets. Sending out for refinishing. While in his possession, they are in car wreck/burned or stolen. No coverage right?

If it was his negligence that causes the loss, then property damage liability will respond, right?

Dave

How would one endorse this coverage? Property of others? So, contractor is in possession of customer goods, lets say expensive cabinets. Sending out for refinishing. While in his possession, they are in car wreck/burned or stolen. No coverage right? If it was his negligence that causes the loss, then property damage liability will respond, right? Dave

Installation Floater

Back