• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Carrier Poached Client

Seems to be pretty common in the market where switching is too damn easy. It doesn’t cost these people any money so they have no hesitation to change on a dime.

I had a client enrolled into a MAPD plan to avoid penalties while applying him for LIS&Medicaid. Had a set follow up with him and during that follow up he discloses to me that he received a letter from the carrier and a call from a "benefit coordinator"; and had already switched his plan with that coordinator. Is this a common practice for a carrier to do this? Is there anything I can do in this situation?

It probably wasn't the carrier that called because they wouldn't do that to solicit business if he wasn't already a member.The " benefit coordinator" was probably a cold call from an agent.Sounds like this prospect was just starting medicare and the rumour is these folks get a lot of cold calls from unscrupulous agents during this phase of their life.

I had a client enrolled into a MAPD plan to avoid penalties while applying him for LIS&Medicaid. Had a set follow up with him and during that follow up he discloses to me that he received a letter from the carrier and a call from a "benefit coordinator"; and had already switched his plan with that coordinator. Is this a common practice for a carrier to do this? Is there anything I can do in this situation?

Aetna is NOTORIOUS for this. Every AEP, it sends a flyer post card with toll free # to learn about their new high value option. They are "supposed to" retain the AOR, but I'm not sure. Few of my Aetna mbs had any interest in calling the #, but did ask me about it.
I feel like Humana does the same. Which MAPD carrier did this to you? Are you sure that you are not by some chance still the Agent of Record?
Plan benefits change ALL THE TIME so you might be able to change the person later.

You are the LOCAL AGENT who can help this person when there is an issue that needs to resolved or help with their questions. You have earned the right to ask for his business.

Last edited:
He didn't switch out from you...He is your client there was a misunderstanding and you want to keep him as you client.

Also call him and let him know you want him to be able to contact YOU!

You are his go to person for help and you want to be able to assist him anyway you can.

I have been doing this for a LOOONG TIME, and this is exactly what I would do, Do not let anyone scare you into thinking you can not contact a client that has left!

I had two this month thus far that I saw drop off 8/1/2022, one I was able to bring right back the second one had passed away.

You have got to stay on top of cases like this don't lose them you have got to stay pro active, some you can't keep, most you will as long as you take care of them.

Good luck! Hope this helps you.

Ps go call him and explain and then threeway the carrier. Also, I would notate who you speak with at the home office for your records.

You need to try a little harder to get those dead people back in your Book. :)

Back