Carrier Rate question

junkman

Guru
100+ Post Club
I'm considering medsups and don't want clients stuck in what becomes a dirty pool with rates going thru the roof. Who are the carriers that don't set up a new underwritten pool every so often with the intent only to drive rates down?

I'm considering medsups and don't want clients stuck in what becomes a dirty pool with rates going thru the roof. Who are the carriers that don't set up a new underwritten pool every so often with the intent only to drive rates down?
Seems everybody is getting in the game now. Manhattan Life, Equitable, Bankers Fidelity are just three that have formed new companies, or in the case of Manhattan using an existing subsidiary, that have never sold a Medicare Supplement in the past to sell Medicare Supplements.

A few companies that have been great rate wise, New Era, Equitable( this is subject to state, but most states have been great), Aetna/ (continental life/american continental).

Tennessee, is one of the states where Medico has been absolutely horrible, like I had people that got over a 20% rate increase, but MOST states Medico has been great.

Stay away from MoO and be prepared to move your clients in 4-5 years is the best advice anyone can give.

I have waited to post an answer here because I did not want to see your thread hijacked and closed off by the wolf pack that follows me around.

Having an answer to this question, or something like it, was one of the big reasons I joined the forums last year.

I was never really able to get, or find, an answer to it. I finally decided it was a question that insurance agents were not going to discuss very deeply, even among themselves - let alone with a consumer. I decided that I was just going to have to buy a Medigap policy with the idea that over a period of time, such as 10-12 years, a significant number of the Medigap carriers in my market were going to close a pool and create a new one; and that it was just a crapshoot as to which one(s) would do it.

medsuptage's comments re Aetna and MoO and "best advice" parallel general comments I received from a Medigap telesales agent. I had two telesales agents refuse to do business with me, in large part because I refused their recommendation of Aetna as a carrier.

This thread:
https://insurance-forums.com/community/threads/omaha-shuffle.90020/

has the potential to be the most broadranging discussion of your question/issue I have seen since joining the forums last fall.

Last edited:
Back