Cell Phone Safety Discounts ... how Many Carriers Now Do This?

BlockO

Guru
1000 Post Club
One of my carriers offers a discount for drivers that sign up for a cell phone safety discount.

There are devices that you can install on your vehicle, or apps you can download on your smartphone, which either disable texting or disable the entire phone completely while the phone is in motion....

To qualify for this discount, you have to show proof that you have one of these such devices/apps installed on your vehicle/phone.

I'm curious as to how many other carriers are doing this? usually when one carrier comes up with a new idea, it doesn't take long for other carriers to follow suit.

How many of you have seen this before with any of your carriers?

Which market is this? Preferred or non-standard.

It could be a good idea to cut down on some claims due to distracted driving.

I deal with mostly non-standard. But I could see this being offered all across the board in the near future.

That is what I thought.

I could definitely see the value for everyone, especially with teen drivers.

Although as Josh alluded to, I can definitely see people trying to get around it while still getting the discount.

Although as Josh alluded to, I can definitely see people trying to get around it while still getting the discount.

That was one of my questions/concerns.... I'm guessing that underwriting would have to be very tight on this.... Perhaps they only accept those devices that install directly into the vehicle, and don't accept the phone app versions. I don't know.

All I saw was a brief paragraph about it.... I haven't had a chance to look at the underwriting. I was hoping someone on here was a little more familiar with it. But it is fairly new. I just found out about it.

That was one of my questions/concerns.... I'm guessing that underwriting would have to be very tight on this.... Perhaps they only accept those devices that install directly into the vehicle, and don't accept the phone app versions. I don't know.

All I saw was a brief paragraph about it.... I haven't had a chance to look at the underwriting. I was hoping someone on here was a little more familiar with it. But it is fairly new. I just found out about it.

I would be reluctant to install any device onto my vehicle that interferes with its operation, especially if it is going to communicate with an outside device. I realize the odds of any one person being hacked are low, still seems rather risky for a discount.

I would be reluctant to install any device onto my vehicle that interferes with its operation, especially if it is going to communicate with an outside device. I realize the odds of any one person being hacked are low, still seems rather risky for a discount.

many newer cars come with the device already installed, they just need to activate the disable in motion feature. My friend's car is like that. He gets cell phone calls through his stereo speakers.

Back