Changing back from MAPD to Med supp 2009

In the guide to Medicare it states that under the 12 month trial period you can go back to your old med supp on a guaranteed issue basis...it also states that in some cases you have 2 year (trial period)....does anyone know what the "some cases" are? I can't find it on Medicare's site or anywhere else in the guide to Medicare

In the guide to Medicare it states that under the 12 month trial period you can go back to your old med supp on a guaranteed issue basis...it also states that in some cases you have 2 year (trial period)....does anyone know what the "some cases" are? I can't find it on Medicare's site or anywhere else in the guide to Medicare

I am not sure exactly what they are referring to but in AR if you have BCBS sup and try their MA or MAPD plan, they will let you back during a 2 year trial. It is specific where you have to have one of their sups first and try one of their MA's and you can get on whatever sup you had with them previously.

Thanks guys. You're so kind. I did my research but couldn't find concise answers like you guys provided (reason why this forum is so great). So basically GI only deals with trad medicare supp and only within 1st 6 mo from the time of B issuance (pretty close?) I know a lady who's still working (70) and also has trad medicare. I don't know if she chose to opt out of B. If she didn't, her only option is MA? What if she's healthy and still gets Supp with underwriting? Will her Supp rate increase based on claims? Also is Supp underwriting simpler than regular IFP or pretty much the same?

Either look at her Medicare card or ask her if Part B has a date on it. That will tell you whether or not she has not used her Part B option.

If she only has Part A, then she can get Part B when she loses creditable insurance (usually group). At that time, she will have a 6 month GI period.

If there is a date on her Part B, then she is beyond the GI benefit.

Don't just think her only option is MA.... if she can pass underwriting, she can get a Med Sup. She will never know unless she asks. If she can't pass U/W for any Med Sup, then her fall-back protection would be MA.

I can't speak to the comparison between IFP and Med Sup U/W standards because of my limited experience. I just started IFP this year... but my educated guess is that U/W standards would be the same for all products at the same company, but would vary between companies.

Back