Children's Insurance Availability?

Health Net's e-mail yesterday indicated that they will be reviewing this going forward. They are looking for some guidance from HHS on open enrollment periods.

Currently, without a specific enrollment period restriction, carriers are reluctant due to people gaming the system.

R. Paul,

Apparently under 20 posts and no PMing is allowed here. Expect around 20% monthly, but that is subject to change 1/1/2011

Shield is 20/10. They may still have the old "option B" version that was 21/11. Beware the 21/11 if they still offer that option, it's based on original premium rate and does not pay on annual increases.

Coverage for Kids through Secure STM

Changes to the health insurance landscape have left a gap for children in need of coverage. When this temporary situation leaves parents looking for a child-only option, Secure STM from IHC provides a short-term medical insurance solution.
Affordable
Lower premiums are friendly to families on a budget Convenient Online quote and enrollment 24/7 FlexibleNumerous benefit and payment options .

I wonder how this will last?

I'm doing the math and without that original HN short term plan the risk is outweighing the reward. Currently paying about $206/month for him on the company plan pre-tax and i would have to assume that the coverage is much better on that plan than the $106 BS Vital Shield Plus 900. I would save some money but will also be exposed to a much higher risk. I do however have about a grand left on my FSA card so that could help offset some of the risk(and it would be nice to see it go to some use). We are currently on the HealthNet HMO Silver any good?

Health Net = Foundation Health = Strong HMO = eh, PPO

Health Net is an HMO-based carrier from the old days and has perhaps the largest HMO provider network in CA. I sell a few HMO 40 HIPAA plans for those who want a HIPAA HMO non-Kaiser. Something like 50,000 par providers for their HMO and all are accepting new patients.

Short Term Medical is OK for kids who don't have major health issues. But as with adults, when the policy term (6 mos, 1 year, etc.) ends, they're out of luck if they developed an illness/disease.

Coverage for Kids through Secure STM

Changes to the health insurance landscape have left a gap for children in need of coverage. When this temporary situation leaves parents looking for a child-only option, Secure STM from IHC provides a short-term medical insurance solution.
Affordable
Lower premiums are friendly to families on a budget Convenient Online quote and enrollment 24/7 FlexibleNumerous benefit and payment options .

I wonder how this will last?

Short Term Medical is OK for kids who don't have major health issues. But as with adults, when the policy term (6 mos, 1 year, etc.) ends, they're out of luck if they developed an illness/disease.

Yeah that's why I brought it up.

Better than a mini med, especially if no carriers will write maj med under age 19

News from Blue Cross of Illinois dtd 9/29/2010.

Child-only Policies
We are awaiting state Department of Insurance approvals for our new child-only policy, Blue Pathway. Our target date to begin enrolling members is May 2011.

-A.C.

Back