Chromebook As an Alternative to a Tablet

Don't some cellular carriers offer a usb plug in with 3g capability?

3g? Are we in the stone age? You still use compact discs too?

The things I take for granted being in a major market. I'm running Verizon XLTE which is based on the old tv airwaves. My USB modem is clocking 25 Mbps down consistently.

Yup. Won't work in a chromebook because it needs a more robust os than chromium.

Verizon has a new USB modem that does not require any software installation - its all browser based. This might work.

Verizon has a new USB modem that does not require any software installation - its all browser based. This might work.

I can't imagine how. At some point the hardware on the tablet/chromebook would have to connect to the internet device, but that requires drivers and such which can't be done through a browser. The easiest way around all of this is just using wi-fi connectivity which is why the mobile hotspot devices and tethering to your phone is so popular. I don't even have to root my device to tether anymore.

3g? Are we in the stone age? You still use compact discs too?

The things I take for granted being in a major market. I'm running Verizon XLTE which is based on the old tv airwaves. My USB modem is clocking 25 Mbps down consistently.

3g was what it was the last I looked at it...Though up here 4G is all that is offered.

Verizon added bandwidth, essentially. "The things I take for granted being in a major market. I'm running Verizon XLTE which is based on the old tv airwaves. My USB modem is clocking 25 Mbps down consistently."

PC Magazine is running a national fastest networks review, out mid June. Here they 'splain the XLTE vs. other efforts to speed up wireless:

What Is Verizon XLTE? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Hotspot app on my verizon jelly bean OS Android LG is working very well tethered to whatever device needs internet, laptop mostly. I can sit in the car and be on the internet, talk to clients. Easier than trying that on wifi in a public place. Can take to client's house, too. Even if they have internet, I prefer my own device. I tried an app on someone's home laptop. I have never seen such a buggy mess. Thank goodness my kid showed me how to use ad blocker (sorry, lead aggregators), and I get rid of all those junk toolbars trying to ride in on updates.

Last edited:
Back