CIC- Certified Insurance Counselor

Gulliver

Guru
100+ Post Club
MO
I would like to hear opinions on the benefits of obtaining this designation and the overall difficulty of the testing required. All input is appreciated in advance

Gulliver

:skeptical:

If you want it for the education it MIGHT be OK...I don't know anything about that.

But if you want to put it on your business card or tell clients about it I think most companies have banned all those fake designations.

I thought all those things went out of business by now.

Even real credentials like ChFC and CLU and CFP don't mean all that much to most clients.

Nothing fake about CIC. I had one 30 years ago - was the 2nd youngest at that time.

Required annual updates and when I realized I could teach the class, I dropped it.

Still have the designation on my wall though.

Rick

The CIC designation is a well respected and established designation. It is a Property & Casualty focused designation and that may be why "Newby" hasnt heard of it. He mentioned only Life, health and financial planning designations
Another high quality P & C designation is the CPCU. Hardly fake either. Another would be the CRM.
CIC requires the passage of 5 challenging courses 4 relating to P & C and 1 relating to life & health. It also requires annual updates that can double for CE credits. In these updates, CIC's can enroll in high level courses that delve deeply into specific areas of focus. These can be quite valuable. These are also very good networking opportunities with your peers. A quality industry designation like the CIC shows a real commitment to you profession and I would highly recommend it.

Here's the deal.....CLIENTS...DON'T.....CARE. Until they do, you're only getting a desgination for the learning experience.

I stand corrected. I didn't know what It was and assumed it was like the garbage certifications.

However, I agree about this and all other designations. Clients don't give a crap and the letters after an agent's name mean nothing to anyone.

I say this from experience.

Richard Bronstein, BA, CIC, CSA, MSAA, CBC, ACBC

However, I agree about this and all other designations. Clients don't give a crap and the letters after an agent's name mean nothing to anyone.

I say this from experience.

Richard Bronstein, BA, CIC, CSA, MSAA, CBC, ACBC

Not to mention ASSO

Sounds like the same feedback that I have heard before on this topic. Great to add to your knowledge base and toolkit, good for networking within the industry, not going to impress too many at dinner parties / biz card exchanges.

Back