Cigna Commissions: Are You Having Problems, Too?

MaryDallas

Guru
1000 Post Club
Texas
Has anyone written Cigna both ON and OFF Marketplace? What a lot of problems with Cigna. First, they cut their directory by 25% and created a LocalPlus directory beginning January 1, 2014. Their communications are nil/nada. They did not inform the brokers; their search for doctors was not updated for a January 1, 2014 effective dates; the doctors were not even informed. People were going to their doctor and doctors were accepting them only to have the claims denied. OB/GYN was quite the chore: a lady was due to have her baby and her OB/GYN turned her away. Thank goodness she was not a client of mine. She went to the same OB/GYN a client of mine went to that I had told her that her doctor was on the directory. I lost her over that one.

Commissions: So many left hooks with this one. First, 'their system' (it's always 'the system') could not pay 6% so they paid 5% from Jan. 1, 2014 through October, 2014. They had promised to pay the 1% in September. September rolled around and they 'forgot'. That is exactly what they said: they forgot. I took it to the mountaintop and they created a manual check for me in September, however, they took it back in November when they paid everyone the 1% (late of course).

They were paying the portion of the premium the customer pays the first payday of the month (they break it down into two checks), and then they were paying the Tax Credit portion of the premium (estimated) and the Off Exchange business the second pay period.

Again, with no warning whatsoever the second pay period in November, 2014 right at Thanksgiving there was a statement in my back office what I was to be paid but no check. No warning; no letter; no email; no discussion .... just no check. They always pull their dirty little tricks right at the holiday or late Friday so you can't get to them, too. So I called commissions and said, "My check was not deposited." And it's always so little concern. They don't even say, "Thank you for your business." You just don't get a check. At least BC/BS is friendly when your check is short. And I was getting no answers.
The commissions manager was 'out on holiday'. The following Monday I start again trying to find out what happened? A little girl (I'm sure she wasn't supposed to tell us) finally told me, "I heard the brokers aren't going to get paid anymore until Cigna gets paid by the Federal government."

At this point the bulk of my health insurance was with Cigna; big mistake.
I got a 'manual check' in November. Christmas rolls around same thing; no check. I was being told they were in non-stop meetings trying to work things out. They are still in these same meetings.

January 3rd I was paid again for November and December Tax Credit portion of the commissions. So the next few checks I've been in 'pay that back mode'. Cigna has a way of paying you and taking it back. It is the biggest mess I have ever seen!

So then last week I am told that the way they are going to pay is possibly the first payday of the following month (they now owe for Feb. Tax Credit commissions) they will pay the customer portion of the commission and the Tax Credit money and Off Exchange the second pay period.

Right at 5:00 p.m. yesterday I was told they got the money in but it's too late to pay on the first pay period (which doesn't even show up on the statement until the 7th and in the bank now and then on the 12th). There is always a delay.

I started asking for a broker advocate within Cigna; asked to speak to their Legal Department and was never given the number nor did anyone call me back. I've sent numerous emails to Rhett Buttle at The White House who 'says' he is the broker advocate...about all the problems brokers are having getting paid. There did seem to be a slight change in attitude after those emails.

We need representation at the State Board of Insurance. Why isn't there a department for brokers? I've been licensed for decades and have been cheated out of so much money. By the time we learn all the 'tricks' of the trade mega-bucks have gone by.

Anyone else here writing Cigna? If you're not: beware. They don't like to pay what is due. My Cigna check is very late on the Tax Credit portion and BC/BS check was $540 short; they paid Feb. but not January. At least BC/BS said, "Thank you for your business. We really appreciate you." It was the pat answer of 'next month', though. BC/BS does the better job by miles. I would write UHC, however, the directory is so limited in Dallas, and they did not know what they were doing this year; maybe next year I will add them to the mix.

I thought it was a good plan to get a check 3 times a month; maybe something would show up. I spend way too much time just trying to get paid and figure out Cigna's convoluted statements. Those statements show up and it's a different amount they pay .... too. Messy mess.

Last edited:
My Cigna FL clients had same network issues in 2014.
Became less of a player in FL with Assurant coming into the market.
My rep said they saw an increase in biz once Assurant went to 0% comm. (go figure)
I, too, just had the same chargeback issue with double APTC payment recently, but climbed out of that negative balance on this past check.
Been paid on most all of the business, with a deposit being made twice a month without any issues for past year.

Cigna Global which is the international product and is not ACA compliant it has paid well and without problems
. We just had a group renew outside the USA and I was amazed the premium was lower than previous year and really I've never had this happen before.. And at first I didn't really believe it . It's a small group. If they receive treatment at usually within the US. That group has been with us for 10 years

Yes, it seems Cigna's forte' is group; not individual. I think that is the bulk of the issues with the individual market much less adding in the marketplace.

Cigna Global Intl. Is having a webinar tomorrow Thursday .. If you want an invite send an email to Michael.Nole@ cigna.com
They're worth a look do you have traveling outside USA a lot or they are living outside

15 % commission 15% renewals...

Cigna Global Intl. Is having a webinar tomorrow Thursday .. If you want an invite send an email to Michael.Nole@ cigna.com
They're worth a look do you have traveling outside USA a lot or they are living outside

15 % commission 15% renewals...

Did you read the thread before you posted this? Its all about not getting paid from Cigna.

Time to do business with another division of Cigna....Cigna Global.
Never had a problem getting paid.
And they send me the coolest stuff at Christmas time this last Christmas they sent me a huge box of chocolates from London England really I was impressed by that alone. The chocolates were called Hotel Chocolate LTD. I did not share that with the kids :(

Last edited:
Time to do business with another division of Cigna....Cigna Global.
Never had a problem getting paid.
And they send me the coolest stuff at Christmas time this last Christmas they sent me a huge box of chocolates from London England really I was impressed by that alone. The chocolates were called Hotel Chocolate LTD. I did not share that with the kids :(

I don't want chocolates; I want to get paid for people here .... in the U.S.
Thank you for the thought, though.

Back