Claims and Tears

rousemark

Still Here!
5000 Post Club
Niota, TN
Had a Washington National client whose 62 year old husband was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer. I had convinced them to by a cancer policy 27 months ago. They did surgery, taking out part of his bladder 3 weeks ago. Last week, they went back in, removed the rest of the bladder, a kidney and his prostate. He is still in the hospital as of this morning.

They both work construction and while they have Major Medical, they have nothing to replace lost income. One of the client's supervisors told her if she did not return to work the day after labor day, they would replace her. I told her they could not do that and told her about the Family Leave Act. She contacted the HR department and they said she could take off 12 weeks (unpaid) and her MM insurance would continue as if she were working. But she still wondered how she would pay her share of the premiums as well as their other bills. Like many people they made could money but had not savings of consequence.

I filed a claim with WN last Wednesday, this morning I was able to call her to tell her there was a $10K Express Pay check on the way. (The plan will pay much more as we get the itemized statements from the providers.) She was at Walmart getting some things together before she returned to the hospital. When I gave her the news that the check was being put in the mail, she broke down and started sobbing. She said that relieved so much of the worry she was going through, afraid they would lose everything they had including their home.

Later in the morning her mother called to thank me. She too, was crying as she spoke with me.

I have paid major medical claims, death claims, disability claims and several cancer/CI claims over the years. Only the cancer claims seem to evoke this type of immense emotional response. Some people say cancer insurance is a bad buy. Try telling that to this family.

Had a Washington National client whose 62 year old husband was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer. I had convinced them to by a cancer policy 27 months ago. They did surgery, taking out part of his bladder 3 weeks ago. Last week, they went back in, removed the rest of the bladder, a kidney and his prostate. He is still in the hospital as of this morning.

They both work construction and while they have Major Medical, they have nothing to replace lost income. One of the client's supervisors told her if she did not return to work the day after labor day, they would replace her. I told her they could not do that and told her about the Family Leave Act. She contacted the HR department and they said she could take off 12 weeks (unpaid) and her MM insurance would continue as if she were working. But she still wondered how she would pay her share of the premiums as well as their other bills. Like many people they made could money but had not savings of consequence.

I filed a claim with WN last Wednesday, this morning I was able to call her to tell her there was a $10K Express Pay check on the way. (The plan will pay much more as we get the itemized statements from the providers.) She was at Walmart getting some things together before she returned to the hospital. When I gave her the news that the check was being put in the mail, she broke down and started sobbing. She said that relieved so much of the worry she was going through, afraid they would lose everything they had including their home.

Later in the morning her mother called to thank me. She too, was crying as she spoke with me.

I have paid major medical claims, death claims, disability claims and several cancer/CI claims over the years. Only the cancer claims seem to evoke this type of immense emotional response. Some people say cancer insurance is a bad buy. Try telling that to this family.
Claim was processed two days after I sent it in and the $10K was sent to the client by overnight FEX.. A smaller payment for anesthesia was mailed by regular mail the next day. very satisfied with the way Washington National is handling the claims..

I have paid major medical claims, death claims, disability claims and several cancer/CI claims over the years.

Handling a death claim this morning. You could hear the concern in the daughter's voice as the conversation started. Even though the Aunts were saying in the background " don't worry Mr Blues will take care of everything". By the end of the conversation, we were all laughing. What we do lifts a lot of worry and stress from people.

I do not do Cancer. However, I have had that same response doing ABR claims. Gratifying.

We paid another $8K for two hospital stays and surgery..All this within 6 weeks of the initial notification of claim. A third hospital stay claim yet to be submitted. Unfortunately, it does not appear there will be any chemo or radiation claims. The Dr. says his body is too weak to tolerate it.. Yesterday they gave him 2 weeks - 2 months to live..

Just learned today another member of my church has throat cancer.. His brother had throat cancer at the same time I did..He and I are both 9 years treatment free. Seems like I hear of anew case among people I know on an almost weekly basis. :sad:

Back