Client didn't know they had Medicaid, now Medicaid doesn't want to pay as they have ACA

yorkriver1

Guru
1000 Post Club
Virginia
In my state this is not as clear cut as it may appear. Not sure if the moratorium on cancelling Medicaid recipients during the "Covid Emergency" is true in all states that have the Medicaid Expansion.
It seems the client's auto accident medical bills, complicated now, too, by a settlement* from the at fault party are being refused by Medicaid as they say the client has ACA coverage. Not sure who to ask, since my state isn't cancelling anyone on Medicaid, currently eligible or not, unless the client moves out of state or asks to have their coverage cancelled.
I will be contacting the local office to ask if they have a suggestion for next steps for the client. ACA can cancel coverage backdated with an escalation request to the Marketplace, in situations where Medicaid is backdated and there is a coverage overlap.
Anyone else run into this? Mainly wanting to do what will help, I guess first see if the Medicaid was situation specific (like with a spend down for this accident only) or based on income at the time.
*I understand that legal pain and suffering portions of legal settlements are the client's to keep and that health insurance carriers have the right to be reimbursed for medical expenses the other party/their insurance has included in the legal settlement.

Back