Clients Not Following Up with Income Info

saintstigers

Guru
100+ Post Club
Louisiana
Have any of your 2014 clients NOT followed up with healthcare.gov with supporting income information that was requested from govt? And if so did they lose their subsidy?

Have any of your 2014 clients NOT followed up with healthcare.gov with supporting income information that was requested from govt? And if so did they lose their subsidy?

YES. Not only did they "lose" their subsidy. They had to pay back every penny received. No penalties or interest though.

Thanks Allen. I'm sure each client received communications from CMS that they needed to provide information. So were you following up with each client reminding them to submit any income verification?

I point out on the Marketplace eligibility letter that they need to submit proof of income. HC.gov sends them letters as well. I'm glad that there were only two who had to repay. One of them paid back the money and re-enrolled off-exchange for 2015. He was glad to get the government out of this aspect of his life.

HC.gov is annoying. They send me multiple e-mails a week explaining why I'm crazy for not yet enrolling. All I did was get on their mailing list in 2013, LOL. I wonder if I enrolled will they send a "Congratulations!"? Probably no such e-mail is in their system.

I haven't had anyone have to repay once we get back in touch with the marketplace and provide the information. We took a pro-active approach this year by sending out reminders, requesting that all information be sent to our office vs. the marketplace, etc.

I don't understand. Allen, you are talking about 2014.

First, you may lose your ongoing tax credits, but you don't have to IMMEDIATELY pay back the already received APTC do you? I thought you would just have to reconcile on taxes at end of the year.

But, is everyone under the impression for 2015, that if no income verification is received, they will only lose their APTC and not lose the plan entirely?

I point out on the Marketplace eligibility letter that they need to submit proof of income. HC.gov sends them letters as well. I'm glad that there were only two who had to repay. One of them paid back the money and re-enrolled off-exchange for 2015. He was glad to get the government out of this aspect of his life.

This aspect is an absolute disgrace, period. The tax return will provide a definitive accounting of whether the subsidy is valid as well as any clawback due the IRS, cancelling subsidies in mid-year because a piece of paper that essentially means nothing is just another example of how bad this legislation is.

This aspect is an absolute disgrace, period. The tax return will provide a definitive accounting of whether the subsidy is valid as well as any clawback due the IRS, cancelling subsidies in mid-year because a piece of paper that essentially means nothing is just another example of how bad this legislation is.

Also the proof of income is "in the past" - yet they are asking the person to "estimate" income in the future . . . . .I always say - no one on Capitol Hill has ever met a self employed person with fluctuating income . . . .it's all very idiotic.

I had a client lose her APTC not her plan. They sent her a bill for the full amount of the monthly premium. It went unpaid and the continued coverage and sent the bill to collections. Her plan was $10 per month and when she got the bill it was $700 per month.

She called me freaking out. I reminded her by looking at my notes in my CRM how many times I reached out about it and she just never sent it in.:no:

I haven't heard from her yet on the tax situation.

Back