CMS to Launch Medicare Advantage Enrollment Assistant in 2011

The writing has been on the wall for quite some time now, and our references to governmental senior insurance takeover is going to come to fruition. We've all joked about it to some extent. Now, we nervously watch as the jokes are being turned on us. I am no sage, but I can certainly envision an entirely dedicated governmental branch that deals in the two realms of healthcare-- senior and underage. Face it folks, this thing is all going nationalized. CMS is going to be expanded and renamed NCMSS: National Center for Medical Social Services...

Yada yadda yada...here's my 2 cents.

What if the Senate passes this healthcare bill which I understand undercuts the funding for these Med Advantage plans...immediately...for 2010.

that means whatever we wrote will not be paid...do I hear chargebacks?? We worked for nothing.

Please someone, anyone....assure me this could never happen. Where's that Jack Daniels....

I'd doubt that could/would happen. 2010 stuff is pretty much written in stone. It is too late for cuts/changes now.

2011... that's going to be one interesting year.

Yada yadda yada...here's my 2 cents.

What if the Senate passes this healthcare bill which I understand undercuts the funding for these Med Advantage plans...immediately...for 2010.

that means whatever we wrote will not be paid...do I hear chargebacks?? We worked for nothing.

Please someone, anyone....assure me this could never happen. Where's that Jack Daniels....

What seems to go unnoticed is the reduction in funding already for MA plans 2010. This is what has driven up the MOOPs and had those Value-added services dropped, among other decreases in benefits.

What seems to go unnoticed is the reduction in funding already for MA plans 2010. This is what has driven up the MOOPs and had those Value-added services dropped, among other decreases in benefits.

I think folks have noticed it, but what they didn't know was that those contracts are already in place and those plans wont be changing. Any discussion on MA funding cuts would be a further reduction from that which the industry is already trying to prepare for.

I hate to burst everyone's bubble (don't kill the messenger), but CMS is about to embark on a project to replace the thousands of agents working throughout the US with a 3rd party marketer that will get to your clients before you can.
They will be calling (that's right - cold calling - which youc can't do - an unfair advantage) and mailing those about to turn 65 before they have a chance to be solicited by you. CMS will also forbid marketing in the 2 test states they choose in 2011.

They will also probably have a very select few agents or an in house FMO in the field working with this 3rd party marketer to field home appointments.

We probably have 2 to 3 years before Medicare plans agents go the way of the typewriter.

I am in this business 2 years and did approx 250 Med Supp and Med Advantage plans in the last 12 months with expectations for 275 to 300 in future years. I was looking forward to making approx $200k in a few years, but now CMS has decided they will take the marketing and sales into their own hands. The experiment begins in 2011 and will probably put into full swing sometime in 2012.

Some of you including Craig will say don't panic - but if a 3rd party has the inside track - and they will subcontract home appointments to FMO's for a fee or share of commission (or set up their own field agency) - how can anyone compete. They'll have access to names, adresses, birthdates (or notification that the member will be eligible soon) and telephone numbers.

Don't wait for the Titanic to hit the iceberg - bail out and plan your new career now!

I don't know why CMS has such a Hard-On for commissioned agents, but they will effectively eliminate all agents save for a select few.

Here's the link to read more:
http://www.cms.hhs.gov/DemoProjectsEvalRpts/MD/itemdetail.asp?filterType=none&filterByDID=-99&sortByDID=3&sortOrder=descending&itemID=CMS122 8 760&intNumPerPage=10

Note to RUSS - the government won't tell you what to do - you just won't be able to compete. The 3rd party marketer will be in the home before you even have a chance. It may be unacceptable, but inevitable

Note to Midwestbroker - this won't be the government but a 3rd party corporation who will bid for national access to all mmebers turning 65 - they will begin marketing to these people when they turn 64 to make sure they get the sign up.

I hate to burst everyone's bubble (don't kill the messenger), but CMS is about to embark on a project to replace the thousands of agents working throughout the US with a 3rd party marketer that will get to your clients before you can.
They will be calling (that's right - cold calling - which youc can't do - an unfair advantage) and mailing those about to turn 65 before they have a chance to be solicited by you. CMS will also forbid marketing in the 2 test states they choose in 2011.

They will also probably have a very select few agents or an in house FMO in the field working with this 3rd party marketer to field home appointments.

We probably have 2 to 3 years before Medicare plans agents go the way of the typewriter.

I am in this business 2 years and did approx 250 Med Supp and Med Advantage plans in the last 12 months with expectations for 275 to 300 in future years. I was looking forward to making approx $200k in a few years, but now CMS has decided they will take the marketing and sales into their own hands. The experiment begins in 2011 and will probably put into full swing sometime in 2012.

Some of you including Craig will say don't panic - but if a 3rd party has the inside track - and they will subcontract home appointments to FMO's for a fee or share of commission (or set up their own field agency) - how can anyone compete. They'll have access to names, adresses, birthdates (or notification that the member will be eligible soon) and telephone numbers.

Don't wait for the Titanic to hit the iceberg - bail out and plan your new career now!

I don't know why CMS has such a Hard-On for commissioned agents, but they will effectively eliminate all agents save for a select few.

Here's the link to read more:
http://www.cms.hhs.gov/DemoProjectsEvalRpts/MD/itemdetail.asp?filterType=none&filterByDID=-99&sortByDID=3&sortOrder=descending&itemID=CMS122 8 760&intNumPerPage=10

Note to RUSS - the government won't tell you what to do - you just won't be able to compete. The 3rd party marketer will be in the home before you even have a chance. It may be unacceptable, but inevitable

Note to Midwestbroker - this won't be the government but a 3rd party corporation who will bid for national access to all mmebers turning 65 - they will begin marketing to these people when they turn 64 to make sure they get the sign up.

Most, if not all, of the MA plans in the area I work in aren't worth it. Ninety-five percent of the people I've dealt with don't like the MA plans available in this area. Just because someone gets a jump, doesn't mean they get the business.

You're missing the point Russ - not only MA but Medigap too.
This 3rd party marketer will be able to cold call these people and telephonically enroll them.
We can't do that.
Not only that, but I bet that 3rd party marketer will be calling and maiiling these people establishing a relationship 1 year before they turn 65. These 64 year olds won't even be searching when they turn 65 or retire - they'll already be working with the 3rd party marketer - someone who can say they are sanctioned by Medicare and possibly funded.
All you'll be able to close are the scraps left over - most likley 25% or less of what you're universe of possible prospects is today. Wake up! It's a monopoly on the marketing! And you're at a disadvantage because of the rules they've set up - you can't cold call. So how are you going to get to these people if they don't respond to your mail or bother to go on the internet searching???

You're missing the point Russ - not only MA but Medigap too.
This 3rd party marketer will be able to cold call these people and telephonically enroll them.
We can't do that.
Not only that, but I bet that 3rd party marketer will be calling and maiiling these people establishing a relationship 1 year before they turn 65. These 64 year olds won't even be searching when they turn 65 or retire - they'll already be working with the 3rd party marketer - someone who can say they are sanctioned by Medicare and possibly funded.
All you'll be able to close are the scraps left over - most likley 25% or less of what you're universe of possible prospects is today. Wake up! It's a monopoly on the marketing! And you're at a disadvantage because of the rules they've set up - you can't cold call. So how are you going to get to these people if they don't respond to your mail or bother to go on the internet searching???

Look...I'm going by what was stated in the link provided and it stated MA's. It said nothing about med-supps. I know...Craig Ritter talked about med-supps too.

So what if they can call. I telemarket daily and there are other agents doing the same in this area. I've written several med-supps on phone calls.

Back