COBRA coverage and enrollment question

jack3454

Super Genius
Sup yall. I have a prospect who just turned 65 and retired, and is getting insurance through wife’s work. She is retiring soon and she is turning 65. They want supplements.

Can both sign up for part A only, then both get a part D plan, and wait 5 months with COBRA coverage then sign up for Part B before the 8 month special election period is over? That way they eliminate any penalties, save Part B premium for 5 months, and can get a supplement before the 6 month period is over. Would this work?

So COBRA is cheaper than the part B premium part D for both of them? Doesn't matter I always suggest they take Part B so there is no screw ups if they decide not to take it.

Yes the cobra is cheaper. I know what you mean he is insisting on delaying just wanna make sure my math is correct

Yes the cobra is cheaper. I know what you mean he is insisting on delaying just wanna make sure my math is

What you write makes no sense . He retired and he’s on his wife’s ins . She retires soon .We’re does the cobra come in ? She’s still employed so there still under the company plan . When she retires they both apply for parts A and B ( he can get A now ) . Upon retiring they have 8 months to get part b and 63 days to get part d . Once you get part B you have 6 months No health questions to get a medigap plan

What you write makes no sense . He retired and he’s on his wife’s ins . She retires soon .We’re does the cobra come in ? She’s still employed so there still under the company plan . When she retires they both apply for parts A and B ( he can get A now ) . Upon retiring they have 8 months to get part b and 63 days to get part d . Once you get part B you have 6 months No health questions to get a medigap plan

Right, their COBRA is going to be paid by the company, so it will save them $175 each a month to not take Part B right away so they want to get COBRA coverage for each of them when she retires in a month. There’s no COBRA now, just when she retires soon.

That’s why they want COBRA coverage for 5 months to avoid paying part B and Avis $1700. Could they enroll in part A and D when she retires, have COBRA, then enroll in B 5 months later and be good?

Caveat, NOT an agent.

So, if they are messing around trying to save money, the next question might be, is the Cobra coverage creditable for Part D?

I think, if it is, they would have 60 days from end of Cobra coverage to enroll in Part D.

Caveat, not an agent.

On the other side of that is all the posts I see relating to problems communicating with Social Security.

One thing I would suggest is they create mysocialsecurity accounts now, if they have not already done so,

And

MyMedicare accounts as soon as they have part A and can do so.

The other thing, is they probably should expect the possibility of delays in getting Part B if they choose that route. If they are healthy and want to take the responsibility themselves for chasing after Social Security if the Part B enrollment does not go smoothly, that's one thing. If they are ill and need smooth and prompt transfer from Cobra to Medicare, that may be another.

You may want to consider making them, not you, responsible for dealing with Social Security if there are problems.

Also, documentation.
I believe there is an employer attestation form they will need for that delayed part B application.

And

If they delay Part D, they should be prepared to offer the Part D carrier proof of creditable coverage for the time they were on Cobra.

and one other thing I forgot about.

Dental and Vision.

If the employer Cobra coverage includes Dental Coverage and Vision coverage SEPARATE from the health policy, they may be able to keep those for the 18 month period.

For example in my case, I was on my wife's employer group plan. That was health with a health carrier, dental with Delta Dental KS and vision with VSP.

The TPA immediately told me I could NOT be on the employer Cobra medical coverage, but there was no problem with me having the Dental and Vision coverage under Cobra for 18 months. That worked very well for me.

Right, their COBRA is going to be paid by the company, so it will save them $175 each a month to not take Part B right away so they want to get COBRA coverage for each of them when she retires in a month. There’s no COBRA now, just when she retires soon.

That’s why they want COBRA coverage for 5 months to avoid paying part B and Avis $1700. Could they enroll in part A and D when she retires, have COBRA, then enroll in B 5 months later and be good?
The answer to your question is yes . The 8 month widow starts when they stop working regardless if they get cobra . So once they sign up for part b in that 8 month window they have 6 months to get a med sup

Attachments

• B3BA67AA-363F-457E-882A-1ACB57D1A3BD.png
    B3BA67AA-363F-457E-882A-1ACB57D1A3BD.png
    290.4 KB · Views: 2
The answer to your question is yes . The 8 month widow starts when they stop working regardless if they get cobra . So once they sign up for part b in that 8 month window they have 6 months to get a med sup

Thanks!

Back