Commission Split Question

Jpolk74

I have a friend that's a newly licensed life agent in Texas. Someone she knows reached out to her to get a life insurance policy but she lives in Florida. I'm licensed in Florida so she asked if I could help her and then we can split the commission or something.
We are both appointed with the carrier so that's not a problem, but I was wondering if in order for me to split the commission at the carrier level does she have to be licensed and appointed IN Florida? or is it okay as long as she's licensed and appointed with the carrier.

I have a friend that's a newly licensed life agent in Texas. Someone she knows reached out to her to get a life insurance policy but she lives in Florida. I'm licensed in Florida so she asked if I could help her and then we can split the commission or something.
We are both appointed with the carrier so that's not a problem, but I was wondering if in order for me to split the commission at the carrier level does she have to be licensed and appointed IN Florida? or is it okay as long as she's licensed and appointed with the carrier.
I'm sure you'd both have to be licensed in Florida andboth be appointed by the carrier in Florida. :yes:

I concur that both of you will probably need to be licensed in FL and appointed by the same company.

I recommend though, just to be certain, to contact the insurer and ask them. I'm sure this isn't the first time something like this has come up, especially with agents in bordering states.

To get paid directly from the carrier, both also have to be contracted. But you can 1099 someone as long as they are licensed in that state.

Agree, but check your carrier contract. Some carriers state you must disclose any & all producers you will be compensating. Some will require those parties to be listed on policy & appointed. Here is 1 example I am familiar with tucked in the 26 page policies & procedures.....LOL

upload_2021-12-21_13-37-26.png

Back