Commissions after Death

I have a question, my Dad sold Medicare supplement and life policies, he just passed away, and is still getting his renewal commissions from various companies. Do these get passed on to the beneficiary? What do I do?
Thank you

I have a question, my Dad sold Medicare supplement and life policies, he just passed away, and is still getting his renewal commissions from various companies. Do these get passed on to the beneficiary? What do I do?
Thank you

Ummm. It can. I'd first contact your state department of insurance. You'll first need to find out if your beneficiary can get a temporary license. Secondly, if you want the renewals long term, you'll need to get a perm license.

Secondly, I'd get in contact with the carriers he represented.

Ummm. It can. I'd first contact your state department of insurance. You'll first need to find out if your beneficiary can get a temporary license. Secondly, if you want the renewals long term, you'll need to get a perm license.

Secondly, I'd get in contact with the carriers he represented.
If the plans are med supp and life, no license should be required for vested commissions. MA may be a different story. Best place to start is by contacting the carriers.

That's probably more accurate. You'd only need a license on MS and life if you planned to service those policies.

Thank you
do you know who your Dad's FMO was? i'd talk to them

First I would set up a corporation and have commissions paid to that s corp.

Next, have your wife as an officer of corporation and get her health license asap. No need for carrier appts or e&o for her, just do CE testing to keep license active.

AARP UHC med supps have a "surrogate agent program" for when agents pass away. Commissions will be passed on to surviving spouse within 90 days if licensed. They now pay for life of policy, like $40 year after year 11. 500 policies equals 2k a month.

It's mostly based on carriers, and type of biz and state laws. She would have to rewrite ACA biz probably and get appointed. I also hope my son takes over biz down the road.

Back