Controlled Distributions of Leads

Many of you may have read my last post about "Lead Generation vs Lead Aggregation" (Lead Generation Vs. Lead Aggregation)

I wanted to follow up on that post with one that is about the same topic, but focused on a different, yet vitally important piece: Distribution of Leads.

There is a common misconception in the world of insurance professionals. It goes something like "internet leads suck". Now, per my last post, you can see that I do not believe that. Although, I completely understand the sentiment. If you read that post, and the comments, you will see what I mean.

I am of the belief, that if things are done correctly, internet leads are very effective. However, there is also a common misconception that all problems with internet leads are related to the way they are generated. For the most part, that is where my last post ended. The other piece, that can be just as important, is how the leads are sold.

Example: Johnny types into Google: "auto insurance quotes texas". Johnny clicks on a listing, advertising that they can help him save money on insurance by comparing quotes. Johnny fills out the form, and waits. In about 5 minutes, his phone is ringing off the hook. Johnny now has 7 different agents/carriers calling him, and it upsets him so much, that he most certainly not be entertaining any offers that come from one of those entities.

What is the problem with the above scenario? Not the way the lead was generated, but rather the way it was sold. What I am demonstrating is that you can do everything right from a generation standpoint, but if you do not control the way a lead is distributed, you can force a good lead to turn bad.

The disposition data I look at every week shows me that leads sold 2 times or less convert much higher than any others. In fact, when I sell a lead 2 times, a overwhelming majority of them get contacted by both entities, and almost never get returned.

The point of the story is that generating leads the right way is only half the battle, you also need to be sure that the company you are getting leads from is not hurting your chances by over distributing the product.

What are your experiences with Shared Leads vs. Exclusive Leads? Have you found exclusive leads to be more cost effective? Or does the price increase out weigh the enhanced results?

Let me know your thoughts!

All the best,

James Riebel
Vice President, Business Development
[email protected]
858-815-5317

Underground Elephant, Inc.
600 B Street Suite 1300
San Diego, California 92101

Back