Critique My New Websites

Too many people demand websites that are too busy graphically. Your eye is pulled in too many directions. Each site need to have a focal point and IMHO, be very clean and minimal. But you can't sell minimal to too many people. They run around the net then say "do a site like this" which has 25 "things" on the main page.

There's also a difference between an agency site and quote site and too many agents want both in one. That's tough. Have one site for clients but a separate site for lead generation.

If you build your site correctly, why on earth would you need a different site to generate leads? Does not even make sense.

Most sites today are being built by individuals that have no experience in proper structure, coding, navigation or a clue about conversion.

Just a basic wordpress site with a theme and a quote engine. Nothing but a electronic business card at best. Hardly a recipe for success.

Last edited:
If you build your site correctly, why on earth would you need a different site to generate leads? Does not even make sense.

Most sites today are being built by individuals that have no experience in proper structure, coding, navigation or a clue about conversion.

Just a basic wordpress site with a theme and a quote engine. Nothing but a electronic business card at best. Hardly a recipe for success.

A friend of mine legitimately makes $8k-$12k/month doing lead generation with what you're referring to as "hardly a recipe for success".

I couldn't agree with you more about most sites being built by individuals that have no experience in proper structure, coding, or navigation. That's absolutely true. Fortunately (or unfortunately) that doesn't necessarily stop them from being successful. Of course there are a litany of sites that don't work well and with the proper attention could do much better, but I think you may be a touch quick to dismiss what actually does work for a number of folks.

One thing I have noticed IMHO, is that it's better to have a lead generation site for your core business involve steady attention and quality content with quantity vs multiple sites. The traffic I can get from a quick site on a separate URL (different servers, etc) vs what I get by adding more content to an established site is significantly different.

It is very hard to talk in such general terms and be accurate.

It largely depends on what line of business an agent works in.
A P&C agent needs a different type of site than a life agent.
And an Auto P&C agent needs a different type of site than someone like the OP who does high end renters & homeowners.

Now take someone like me; as you can tell I have an Online Term site.
But that is not my core business. My core business is various types of Business Insurance and Annuities.

The online term sales process functions on its own, so there is minimal work on my end required.

It makes no sense for me to combine my core business with the online term sales.

Some agents just do life insurance, period. For them it would make sense to just have one site.

For others who do multiple lines or have multiple areas of expertise it might make sense to have different sites.

Your not an agent are you? Most agents would understand why one might want multiple sites to target different lines of business.

And many agents are very successful with that setup.
There are websites that most web designers would consider "amateur", that bring in big bucks for agents.
Also, there are many agents with slick professional sites and the site doesnt bring in a dime.

It can go both ways.

And some agents still prospect the old fashioned way and just need an online business card.

Last edited:
Maybe I should have indicated our purpose. We do a ton of outbound marketing to Apartment and commercial property owners in the western US. Most of the multi family owners we work with are over 50 and quite wealthy. The average premium size is $9-30k. They typically do not shop on the Internet. The website is there so they can check us out and gather information after receiving a very competitive quote on their property. It would be very difficult for us to have a self rater on our site with our best carriers due to so many variables with each property.

Bert - For what you're doing - your website is great. It looks like an authority site and that's all you need for the type of marketing you're doing. Well done.

Think of what I am going to describe like this: If you go to a bar, and you see a woman you like -- you try to meet her slowly probably in initially small steps. A little at a time. What you don't do is run across the bar, get in her face and describe who you are in one fell swoop.

Hey speak for yourself, I met my wife pretty much just like that. Walked across the bar to the prettiest girl I ever saw, said "Hi I'm Mark, what's your name?", and the rest was pretty much history. 7 years gone by and never looked back. To the bold go the spoils.

As to his website, I'm no SEO genius so can't comment other than it looks appealing, but in websites often looks can be deceiving. More important is how much traffic converts. Good luck!

I understand why you have the "quote"form the way you do considering the line of business your in. But it is a "call me" form, not a quote form.
At least that is how your visitors see it.

Imo; your phone number is at the top of the screen, if they want to talk on the phone they will call.

If it were me, I would have a more detailed quote form that actually looks like a quote form, not just a contact form.
Put choices for lines of insurance, and then relevant info needed for a ball park range on the premium. Just ask for Name and Email, no other personal info unless needed for an actual ball park figure.

Since your working with a designer you should be able to customize the quote info/process a lot more than just a standard contact form.

And I would call the contact form, a contact form. Or some other term that indicates what it really is.. maybe "request a phone consultation".

The days of old fashioned contact style quote forms has passed imo.

Check out Car Insurance - Get Quotes, Tips, and Savings Today
It has a simple zip code box to start, then it takes you to a detailed form to fill out (but no personal contact info)

Should I remove the quote form from my home page?

Http://longtermcareinsurancepartner.com

Maybe I should have indicated our purpose. We do a ton of outbound marketing to Apartment and commercial property owners in the western US. Most of the multi family owners we work with are over 50 and quite wealthy. The average premium size is $9-30k. They typically do not shop on the Internet. The website is there so they can check us out and gather information after receiving a very competitive quote on their property. It would be very difficult for us to have a self rater on our site with our best carriers due to so many variables with each property.

Based on that, I think your site is great. The only thing I would add/change is either prevent your slider images from being clickable (it just goes to your homepage) or have them directed to specific landing pages that talk more about how you specialize in those areas and give more of your value proposition. An added bonus would be to have some good testimonials of clients that you've been able to help in those areas.

Based on that, I think your site is great. The only thing I would add/change is either prevent your slider images from being clickable (it just goes to your homepage) or have them directed to specific landing pages that talk more about how you specialize in those areas and give more of your value proposition. An added bonus would be to have some good testimonials of clients that you've been able to help in those areas.

Thanks for the feedback, good ideas.

Back