Current Carrier Appointment Landscape?

Roberto Clemente

Hello All,

What are your thoughts on the current landscape? Yes, I am new and looking to start an agency. My plan is use a network to gain access to carriers. Focus will be P&C commercial. I will be based in TN. Is now a good time to enter?

I cannot say about your current situation - I would lean heavily on the advice of active agents in your state and field. It can be night and day by state.

Best of Luck

Hello All,

What are your thoughts on the current landscape? Yes, I am new and looking to start an agency. My plan is use a network to gain access to carriers. Focus will be P&C commercial. I will be based in TN. Is now a good time to enter?

We're not seeing significant difficulty getting appointments in TN right now.

Personal lines is a disaster in some states, but even in those states commercial appointments are coming into our network much easier. Liability doesn't burn down.

Have you tried contacting carriers yourself, and you've been turned down? Or where are you at with the process?

We're not seeing significant difficulty getting appointments in TN right now.

Personal lines is a disaster in some states, but even in those states commercial appointments are coming into our network much easier. Liability doesn't burn down.

Have you tried contacting carriers yourself, and you've been turned down? Or where are you at with the process?

Matthew,

Thank you for the response. I am in the preparation phase of starting a new agency. I recently received my license for P&C in TN and working on L&H. I am putting the finishing touches on my business plan. Next steps will be seeking appointments, getting E&O, etc. I plan to begin this month. Niche will be commercial trucking, diversifying with other commercial and some personal lines. I will not be starting scratch. I have policies to roll once I am set.

I am not opposed to utilizing an aggregator, MGA, etc. In fact, my mentor is a member of Horizon and highly recommends joining. My biggest weakness is experience.

Thanks,

Matthew,

Thank you for the response. I am in the preparation phase of starting a new agency. I recently received my license for P&C in TN and working on L&H. I am putting the finishing touches on my business plan. Next steps will be seeking appointments, getting E&O, etc. I plan to begin this month. Niche will be commercial trucking, diversifying with other commercial and some personal lines. I will not be starting scratch. I have policies to roll once I am set.

I am not opposed to utilizing an aggregator, MGA, etc. In fact, my mentor is a member of Horizon and highly recommends joining. My biggest weakness is experience.

Thanks,

No problem!

You're smart to plan ahead. Bonus that you already have some business to roll into the agency - that's really helpful.

Not sure who your friend is but we're always pleased to hear about happy member agencies.

We're running a $0.00 advertising budget (we did spend $364 bucks on an explainer video not long ago LOL - but never a single ad) and still growing rapidly.

We rely exclusively on word of mouth from our current agency owners.

Anyways, you don't necessarily NEED a network, but they sure to help make the process of getting a multi million dollar book much quicker

If you do look at some networks, we'd love to be considered.

I advise you that while your friends may recommend their network, you still look at 3 contracts before signing on with a network.

Back