Currently Captive - Tips for Becoming Independent

Hi, I'm in California. Eharriett, thank you for the info.

I found some California specific resources on the web that were really helpful. What would be a starting point to obtaining company appointments? Any specific companies that I should look to first? What about the middle man companies that I am hearing about? How much does the fact that I have nearly 10 yr of experience as a captive help my case? And have had excellent production in p&c ? the companies ask these things?? Thanks much!!!!!

In terms of P&C I can try to help you there.

First off, as a captive, were you mainly commercial or personal lines? I take it that you focus in one or the other, you might want to start in PL since commercial for independents can be a headache to pick up at first.

For getting the carriers, they will basically be asking you TONS of questions or trying to get an idea about how you can help the company grow. I would imagine you had to do a similar interview when becoming captive.

Insurance carriers will want to see what you did with the captive more than likely as a reference for what you can do for them. I would keep a 3 year experience report showing your total book, 3 years of growth, and your loss ratio. I don't know if you have access to that but it will sure as heck help out.

Also, try to write out a marketing plan with your projected production for the next 6 months, year, two years, 3 years, and 5 years. How are you looking to grow and market? How can you tie in the prospective carrier to your goals and why you think they will be a great fit? Will the insurance companies think you can reasonably do this? If you say you plan to have a 1-2M book in 5 years do you have enough ideas there that are reasonable and good enough to get you to 1M or close to it? Think of this as like going to a bank for a loan- they want to see if the investment is worth it. They also want to make sure your target market is what they are looking for, though most carriers I'm sure are all looking for the same target market.

I'm not in CA so I don't know ALL of the competitive carriers out there. Find 2-3 companies you think will help you the MOST and try to get a direct appointment with them. It could be Allied, Safeco, GMAC, Progressive,or Mercury. I don't know, I'm just throwing names out there so don't quote me on those as being the best of the best. See what the production requirements are and gauge if you can do it or not. If not, shoot for less companies and make them happy first and figure out which ones those are. For all the other companies I would go through a third party for carriers such as a cluster (Iroquois Group, SIAA, Agent Secure, Insurance Noodle, some CA-regional ones, etc.) an MGA (no binding authority but they can place the weird risks or one-of's like mobile homes or multiple claim properties) and an E&S broker for the homes that standard markets won't use. You want to be prepared for everything but you CAN'T. So have some carriers that you think will handle 70-90% of your business and outsource the rest so you spend time placing business that is good for the client rather than trying to fill up a bunch of requirements to keep your carriers.

MGAs will also be your friend for commercial in the beginning since they have SICK production requirements for people that are new and you have a long time to figure out how to market your niche. MGAs will haircut your commissions but you don't have to worry about losing the book because you only generated 30-40k for a company and found they aren't good for your niche.

Hope that helps- it's a 5 min. typing of some ideas to get rolling that is non-specific. Talk to some local agents in the area or CA agents here to help with the CA specific stuff. I'm sure there are some threads here about it as well.

Last edited:
What would be a starting point to obtaining company appointments? Any specific companies that I should look to first? What about the middle man companies that I am hearing about?

Almost forgot about your other question: which companies.

My answer: if you're truly independent, get a mix. Everyone has preferences. Everyone's answers are going to be different and it will drive you crazy. My two favorite companies might be absolutely horrible for the next guy reading this post. Find a couple and get appointed directly or through an IMO. After about a year, drop the companies that are not compatible with the way you do business. TAKE 10 MINUTES AND READ YOUR CONTRACTS!!! If there's anything in there that makes you raise your eyebrows, ask for clarification or give them a pass.

Took us almost 5 years to learn all that.

Thanks to all who responded, I really appreciate the advice and info. So to get started, I would have to secure an e&o policy first, then contact some carriers? Is there a list of contact info for the carriers or do we just google search? I guess I wouldn't even know who to call. Let's say allied as an example. Who within allied do I call to get the process started? Also, do the carriers allow you to start from home? Is there any reason to purchase the Fsc rater software at the very beginning? I guess I am looking for a sort of checklist of steps.

Thanks

Thanks to all who responded, I really appreciate the advice and info. So to get started, I would have to secure an e&o policy first, then contact some carriers? Is there a list of contact info for the carriers or do we just google search? I guess I wouldn't even know who to call. Let's say allied as an example. Who within allied do I call to get the process started? Also, do the carriers allow you to start from home? Is there any reason to purchase the Fsc rater software at the very beginning? I guess I am looking for a sort of checklist of steps.

Thanks

Don't spend more than you have to, including the rater, though a lot of companies want you to have an office.

You need to talk to a marketing rep for the company. Call around, someone will know who to get you to.

Yes, you need an E&O policy that covers whatever you are trying to sell, including P&C or L&H or all 4.

Talk to an agent in your area to see what is competitive.

SIAA is the best way to go. Will allow market access to the top carriers and keep premium requirements down. They are a fantastic organization (somewhat dependent on your MA.)

...the grass is greener on the other side.

oh yeah..and you're probably coming from Allstate or Farmers so I would not disregard that non compete.

SIAA is the best way to go. Will allow market access to the top carriers and keep premium requirements down. They are a fantastic organization (somewhat dependent on your MA.)

...the grass is greener on the other side.

oh yeah..and you're probably coming from Allstate or Farmers so I would not disregard that non compete.

SIAA is an option though I wasn't thrilled with them here in NC though the rep probably turned me off a bit. RBA swears by them though so they might be good in OP's state.

SIAA, Iroquois Group, Smart Choice, a few regional ones, there are plenty to look at. I chose Iroquois Group because I want to access to a LOT of carriers but small production in each (i.e. monoline property companies and things like that) and they have an escape option after you have been with them for a while. They also have some nice markets in my state for commercial.

Help me understand something. So siaa is an intermediate company that gives me immediate access to multiple carriers? How much of a cut do they get? Why not just contract separately?

Help me understand something. So siaa is an intermediate company that gives me immediate access to multiple carriers? How much of a cut do they get? Why not just contract separately?

Because if you can't commit to $100k-$300k in written premium per year per carrier it may tough for most start up agencies to get direct contracts depending on what state you are in.

But there are still minimum premium requirements though siaa, right? And what would be an example of minimum?

Back