Deciding Between Farmers and New York Life

EasyAs123

Hi all,

I'm currently not an agent, but would like to become one. Recently, I've been offered and have accepted an agent position with Farmers, but have an upcoming scheduled interview with New York Life. I've read that the two companies are different as Farmers deal primarily with p and c insurance, while NYL deals more with life insurance and financial planning. Although, I've already agreed with Farmers, I still have mixed feelings and am not 100% decided on Farmers. Personally, I'm more interested in what NYL has to offer because it specializes more in financial planning and that's what I'm more into. In any event, if NYL offers me the position, then a decision has to made where I have to choose one over the other. On the other hand, if NYL doesn't offer me the position, then the choice is easy. So my question is: how do I go about telling the other company (the one that I end up not choosing) that I am no longer interested if NYL were to recruit me, such as going back on my words with Farmers. In your opinion, which company would you choose and which is better company to work for overall?

NYL will offer. If that is what you are interested in just do it. Just tell Farmers you have decided to go a different direction you are more interested in.

Many life insurers will give you a shot as long as you can pass the state exam and fog a mirror... If possible I'd suggest meeting with several life/financial services folks and p/c people and find out the type of work they really do and then decide what's best for you.
Good luck.

Farmers life insurance products are limited. NYL is a premier life company. Farmers has cheap lead source opportunities. For P@C. Now look at the production requirements for each. Then decide . Remember, This is not a get rich quick game.
5 hard years of work, and then 15 years of taking care of your customers. One recommendation, I have is to save some of your monies, for the hard/ lean:) times.....Serve the masses eat with the classes. John Savage.:GEEK:

If you are more interested in life ins and financial planning, just tell Farmers exactly that. The P&C business is a lot of work and a lot of service for a little pay. If you focus your efforts on life, and if you can do it, it will pay off more in the end.

You will never make the commission on life insurance or have access to excellent life products if you go to a captive P&C company such as Farmers, State Farm, Allstate, AmFam, etc...

Good luck.

Speaking as someone who left Farmers and was blown away by the abundance of powerful and affordable life and financial products, go with NYL, especially because that's what you're more into.

My issue with NYL is that they're captive, but they offer great training and good products. They don't have indexed products, but not everyone is looking for those.

Back