Denying a fire claim?

Jsnowden01

my husbands car recently had a small engine fire, we have comprehensive insurance, and our policy states that fire damage is covered. The fire was small, and there is no obvious damage, but the car stopped running after the fire had started (started while driving) and engine will no longer turn over. Insurance has just sent us a notification that our claim is under investigation. We have a police report that says we called it in and that there was “evidence of a fire”, and that the fire department showed up. By the time the fire department came my husband had extinguished the fire, but there is obviously internal damage since the car no longer runs and it was burning for 10-20 minutes before extinguished. The insurance company now wants all maintenance records and pre purchase inspection information, and to send the car to the mechanic to determine the cause of the “alleged fire”. Does this sound typical for a fire claim? Is there anything we can do to protect ourselves? This whole scenario has been a nightmare- the insurance company has sent us nothing but vague emails for three weeks until now telling us that our claim is under investigation. It’s a very expensive car and we will be pretty devastated if the fire isn’t covered... any insight or advice?

How long have you had the policy? How long has the car been on the policy? How many miles are on the vehicle? Since you will need an estimate for the repair, the vehicle will need to be inspected by a mechanic in order to determine the cost of the repair so why the fuss? Send the vehicle out to be inspected and have the mechanic converse with the Claims department. Get pictures of the underside of the hood and engine compartment to show the extent of the fire damage. I am surprised that you have waited 3 weeks before getting the vehicle inspected, how else would anyone know how much damage was done and how costly the repairs will be? It is certainly easier to show fire damage inside of the passenger compartment but you have to understand that any insurer will want to know if the claim is for damage or maintenance and maintenance is not covered in your policy.

How long have you had the policy? How long has the car been on the policy? How many miles are on the vehicle? Since you will need an estimate for the repair, the vehicle will need to be inspected by a mechanic in order to determine the cost of the repair so why the fuss? Send the vehicle out to be inspected and have the mechanic converse with the Claims department. Get pictures of the underside of the hood and engine compartment to show the extent of the fire damage. I am surprised that you have waited 3 weeks before getting the vehicle inspected, how else would anyone know how much damage was done and how costly the repairs will be? It is certainly easier to show fire damage inside of the passenger compartment but you have to understand that any insurer will want to know if the claim is for damage or maintenance and maintenance is not covered in your policy.
Well, probably a big issue is that we changed insurance companies one day before the fire. So it’s TERRIBLE timing. The insurance company told us to leave the car at the tow yard until they had an adjuster come look at it, and then we never heard back from them until today. The car has about 100,000 miles on it. It’s a 2013. We have pictures but there really isn’t fire damage that’s obvious. I guess I’m just wondering if we have any protection because we got a police report and if the mechanic can tell them that yes, there is fire damage, do they still have any reason to deny our claim?

When did you cancel the old policy? Was there any overlap? Have your carrier recommend which shop to have the vehicle towed to and get an estimate for the repairs. Claims happen, let them take control of the inspection.

It’s a car we had just purchased, we cancelled the old policy about a week before beginning on the new one.

You had a one week lapse of insurance and then a fire one day after taking out a new policy with a new insurance company.

I have to tell you that your claim is being investigated as suspicious which is routine based on the two issues that are considered red flags by the insurance industry.

You need to cooperate cheerfully and quickly with the insurance company to get this claim resolved. If you balk at anything they can deny the claim for lack of cooperation.

Other than that there is no way to speculate on what the insurance people will or won't do. You'll just have see how it goes until it gets to the end one way or the other.

You had a one week lapse of insurance and then a fire one day after taking out a new policy with a new insurance company.

I have to tell you that your claim is being investigated as suspicious which is routine based on the two issues that are considered red flags by the insurance industry.

You need to cooperate cheerfully and quickly with the insurance company to get this claim resolved. If you balk at anything they can deny the claim for lack of cooperation.

Other than that there is no way to speculate on what the insurance people will or won't do. You'll just have see how it goes until it gets to the end one way or the other.

Yeah, it all looks really bad. That’s why we are worried. We have fully cooperated so far, but our company has hardly communicated with us at all to ask for anything. It sucks to be treated like a criminal and have people you hope will help you not trust you. Is the burden of proof on me to prove that we’re not making a fraudulent claim? Or is it an “innocent until proven guilty” situation? But it is what it is. I guess we’ll find out one way or another soon enough!

Well, probably a big issue is that we changed insurance companies one day before the fire. So it’s TERRIBLE timing. The insurance company told us to leave the car at the tow yard until they had an adjuster come look at it, and then we never heard back from them until today. The car has about 100,000 miles on it. It’s a 2013. We have pictures but there really isn’t fire damage that’s obvious. I guess I’m just wondering if we have any protection because we got a police report and if the mechanic can tell them that yes, there is fire damage, do they still have any reason to deny our claim?

I am curious and have to ask. How can a fire burn a car for 10 - 20 minutes and not be obvious? That's a long time and there is a lot of rubber and plastic on a 2013 car. I am having some trouble getting my head around this, thanks.

I am curious and have to ask. How can a fire burn a car for 10 - 20 minutes and not be obvious? That's a long time and there is a lot of rubber and plastic on a 2013 car. I am having some trouble getting my head around this, thanks.
It was not a large fire, maybe 6” across and 4” wide with 6” flames and has a glass engine hatch so it didn’t melt any external plastic. It’s a rear mounted engine, so he didn’t know it was on fire until the engine shut off and he went to check it, and someone else stopped to tell him it was on fire. The engine hatch was open while the fire was burning and he was working on putting it out. I wish it had been more obvious. :(

Back