DI Newby Question

agentjhc

Guru
1000 Post Club
I have a life client that emailed me and asked for a DI quote. I have never sold DI before. 2 Companies I have access to are Assurity and Ohio National.

Client-28 yr old female, good health, non-smoker, Dental Hygienist with $58,000 in income.

What is the typical BP and EP you all see in your dealings?

Quote both.. READ the definitions of Disability. Learn how to spot the differences. Disability insurance is all about the words. The words drive the cost. Let it be her choice, after you've gone through the definitions, the riders and what not. The nice thing is you should be able to plug and pull things out and in, to help with the process. Good luck.

How big is the office she works at? Do they have any group discount plan set up with any other carrier?

If they do, it wouldn't be extremely difficult for you to become appointed with that carrier and write that product.

If not, ONL and Assurity aren't bad options for a hygienist.

Does she have any group LTD?

I will have to check with her on those details. I do no think it is a large office, but will find out. She emailed me and her cocern is that she might break her hand and be unable to work, wants to know if it covers pregnancy. I am actually out of town and played some phone tag, so I have not had a chance to dig for more info.

Good advise from both of you as my product knowledge in minimal. I plan to remedy that soon with agent guides and my up line. Any further help from forum members greatly appreciated.

Usually the only time pregnancy is covered is if it is a complicated one, where the health of the mother is at risk. A normal pregnancy would be a no with most carriers.

If she's worried about her hand getting injured and her not being able to work, make sure you get the true own occupation definition.

Even the lesser companies usually have a limited own occ period for two years (not true own occ). MoO may be another one worth checking, not sure if she would be a 2A or 3A as I have never written that occupation.

90 day EP is the most common. BP based on budget. I usually do a 90 day EP, max base benefit; and a residual rider. From there, I see what they can afford for a benefit period.

Last edited:
Back