Disability Underwriting - Stent

charquin

58 year old OBGYN had stent placement 7 years ago. Sent quick quotes to MOO, Assurity, Illinois Mutual and applied with Principal. All came back as declined due to stent. Never even did the phone interview. Any carriers you recommend? App state is NJ. Looking for max coverage. Did not realize stent placement would be such a big issue.

58 year old OBGYN had stent placement 7 years ago. Sent quick quotes to MOO, Assurity, Illinois Mutual and applied with Principal. All came back as declined due to stent. Never even did the phone interview. Any carriers you recommend? App state is NJ. Looking for max coverage. Did not realize stent placement would be such a big issue.

Decline everywhere. CAD is almost always an automatic decline for DI. Stent placement will prevent prospect from dying, but it also means the prospect is at a much higher likelihood of having to reduce working hours or stop working for a while due to tangential complications or additional progression of atherosclerosis elsewhere.

Petersen is probably your only option if anything....or if they have a practice with at least 10 people he could get a guaranteed-issue policy if they will all enroll.

Petersen International advised that they would include a Cardiovascular System Exclusion in any quote, and that they'd need the details of income and any other DI in force before they could generate a quote. It's not a guarantee, but it's also not an automatic decline :)

Petersen International advised that they would include a Cardiovascular System Exclusion in any quote, and that they'd need the details of income and any other DI in force before they could generate a quote. It's not a guarantee, but it's also not an automatic decline :)

What do you think the odds are someone who has had a stent will accept a DI policy with a cardiovascular exclusion?

Now I'm not asking if they should take it or not, but if they will.

I can't advise what the odds are as every client is different, but it's important to note that there are a lot of things that can cause a disability other than the cardiovascular system. If the client were to be in a car wreck, or obtain some form of cancer or another illness, the coverage could still be beneficial.

kmoser, I get a very strong feeling you're new to this stuff. DI is extremely hard to place, and I mean good DI with good language, not some crap that will never pay anything. What you're going to run into if not a decline, is a price that makes the policy to expensive for the average person.

For decades those of us in the industry hear how underserved the DI market is.... Well shoot, it isn't the lack of prospects, it's the lack of favorable underwriting that makes things so hard to do.

kmoser, I get a very strong feeling you're new to this stuff. DI is extremely hard to place, and I mean good DI with good language, not some crap that will never pay anything. What you're going to run into if not a decline, is a price that makes the policy to expensive for the average person.

For decades those of us in the industry hear how underserved the DI market is.... Well shoot, it isn't the lack of prospects, it's the lack of favorable underwriting that makes things so hard to do.

Underwriting and prospects. Excluding the few professions that have it beat into their head, medical and legal, there seems to be a pretty general rule in DI. If you want it, you can't get it. If you can get it, you don't want it.

Of course there are always exceptions, but that rule seems to cover most potential prospects.

While I’m not trying to discredit your opinions LGilmore, I do think the original question was asking if there are any carriers that would write with a stent, not if we think the client should or should not apply forDI. You may have decades more experience than I do in the insurance industry, but I think actually going to the carrier, as I did, to see if writing with Petersen is even an option, is a much more practical answer than flat out saying “DI is hard to place, and I mean good DI with good language, not some crap that will never pay anything.”

Yes, it’s possible that their offer may be too expensive for the average person, but as the client mentioned above is an OBGYN, her salary very well could be above that of the average person. And, personally, I would rather have an agent present me with my options, rather than decide on my behalf that the policy is too expensive. It is an agent’s job, yes, to explain the disabling definitions, but if you’ve yet to see the quote/offer from Petersen’s, don’t you think it’s a little too early to completely disregard it? After all, the quote is free. And with a short phonecall, and a few more questions, a more thorough prescreen can be done for free as well.

Last edited:
Back