Do you offer to cancel your clients prior insurance policy?

For you home & auto folks out there:

When you write up a new client, do you leave it up to them to cancel their old policy?

Or do you do it for them? If so, how do you do this? By signing a document and faxing it to the other agent? Email? Ever had any issues doing this (i.e. they refuse/don't comply?).

Would be interested to hear your thoughts!

I ask. Once they realize they will need to get me prior policy numbers and sign the Accord form, most do it on their own. But those who want my help, I'm glad to do it.

It's a regular part of my process. You have a paper (digital trail) and it helps make a cleaner break for the customer as it's a personal way (helping the client) to do an impersonal thing (cancelling someone else's policy).

I have a list of central fax numbers at my desk because I am tired of individual agents saying they never received the notice. Have found that a faxed cancellation to the home office gets the job done every time.

I'm not in PNC but In Medicare I help them cancel their policies, absolutely it helps through the process and does not allow the other company to come back in and save the business. We have termination letters for all the companies we work with .

I'm not in PNC but In Medicare I help them cancel their policies, absolutely it helps through the process and does not allow the other company to come back in and save the business. We have termination letters for all the companies we work with .
I'm also not P&C and I do the same thing, only I never cancel their policy, I take it off of bank draft and tell the client to ignore the premium notices. That way, if something goes wrong and they don't get the new coverage, they still have the old and I can get them back on bank draft and save their old policy.

I have a list of central fax numbers at my desk because I am tired of individual agents saying they never received the notice. Have found that a faxed cancellation to the home office gets the job done every time.

If I have both I try to send it to both. One way or the other it should get done!

I almost always take care of it that way their old agent isn't trying to stop them from cancelling. I have had local state farm people flat out refuse to cancel, playing games that they never received anything from me. One guy we faxed, mailed, emailed then certified mailed, then we called corp. Their response was he was new and trying to make quotas. Another time it happened my new customer gave up and kept the state farm even though it was well over 500 a year more expensive. They said they couldn't take stress or conflict.

Back