Does Extended Non-Owned extend your PIP coverage?

Do you offer extended non-owned coverage to clients provided company cars?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Didn't realize I should

• Don't know if my clients have company cars

• Total voters

MichaelRS

Expert
Looking for any agents(s) who can chime in, particularly if they've gone through this type of loss.

I've always recommended to clients (focused on commercial), that they add extended non-owned coverage to their personal policy if they are provided a business vehicle that is available for their use off business hours. I'm less concerned with the liability limit because most of the companies I work with carry reasonable limits.

My primary motivation has always been, if an accident occurs off business hours, there is no medical coverage extended to a vehicle that is furnished for your regular use but not scheduled on the personal policy.

This endorsement allows you to extend liability and "medical payments" coverage to that vehicle.

My question regards the latter coverage - medical payments. I've always "assumed" that that would be your personal injury protection coverage, but as I read the form, maybe you are supposed to schedule a medical payments limit and PIP will not apply.

Any had a claim on this and really tested the coverage?

Standard claim scenario would be you use your company furnished vehicle to go on a trip over the weekend and are in an accident were multiple family members are injured and require medical treatment (for this example, all are direct family members - father, mother, son, daughter, etc). Does PIP pay for the injuries?

Second scenario would be same as above, however there is a non-family member in the vehicle, perhaps the friend of one of your children? How does coverage react for the non-family member.

Now I know that the liability policy for the company is going to play primary here, up to policy limits. My main concern is how medical is address for both family and non-family.

Thanks for your consideration. PS. State I'm primarily interested in is NJ, though it should be similar for other states depending on PIP/medical payment laws.

When I had a company vehicle in the ‘90s, I added the Extended Nonowned Coverage For Named Individual to my personal auto policy and umbrella. At the time, the additional cost was less than $30 to extend $2.3M in coverage. It was one of the best deals in insurance. Likewise, when I got a pontoon boat, the cost to extend a $3M umbrella was $7…you’d have to be a fool not to do this.

...policy forms... That's where your questions will be answered.

Policy forms are only the contract, not the interpretation. That is why I asked for outcomes from other agents. I read the policy and it says what it says-not very much.

Those with insurance experience know that, in disputes, a court will often decide the outcome. My question was designed to see how others have approached the coverage and any outcomes they've experienced before a suit was necessary.

If you have an experience with the coverage, share. Otherwise, there are plenty of other questions in the forum to share helpful info on. Move on to those.

. I'm less concerned with the liability limit

Isn't it possible the person could occasionally drive a friend, relative, girlfriend/boyfriend vehicle? If so, wouldn't it be important to have adequate BI limits to protect themselves

non-family member in the vehicle

You need to look up the PIP order of priority in the State. In some states, 1st priority is to the injured parties own auto insurance policy before it would proceed to either who they live with or the vehicle riding in or the at fault party. This is because not all auto injuries happen while riding in a car. Some occur as a pedestrian walking, someone riding a bike or a child riding in school bus in a car accident

Back