Doing P&C as a part time remote job

sbg_ben

Super Genius
Hello,

I work for a small family agency selling health/life/medicare etc. I am pretty much maxed out on compensation and I am not making enough. I absolutely love my job but I need to make more money.

I am considering picking up a second job selling P&C remotely while also taking care of my current responsibilities. I have a pretty decent client base and I have been selling insurance for 6 years now. I am hoping for a position where I can work on commission only and the company will know that certain times of year I will not be able to sell as many policies, for example I won't be able to do as many sales during individual/medicare open enrollment.

I think this could be a mutually beneficial arrangement but I am not sure how to go about selecting the right company to work for. Does anyone here have experience working from home or doing P&C part time? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

If I were going to try and undertake something like, I would find a local independent agency and work with them - they 'may' be the most interested in hiring/allowing you to do this. In addition if this is done properly you can lean on the owner of the agency when you run into the WTF coverage situations - and you will - because that is why P&C is a full time job.

Hello,

I work for a small family agency selling health/life/medicare etc. I am pretty much maxed out on compensation and I am not making enough. I absolutely love my job but I need to make more money.

I am considering picking up a second job selling P&C remotely while also taking care of my current responsibilities. I have a pretty decent client base and I have been selling insurance for 6 years now. I am hoping for a position where I can work on commission only and the company will know that certain times of year I will not be able to sell as many policies, for example I won't be able to do as many sales during individual/medicare open enrollment.

I think this could be a mutually beneficial arrangement but I am not sure how to go about selecting the right company to work for. Does anyone here have experience working from home or doing P&C part time? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
I think you are asking wrong audience here. Most of us are indis (independent). Our mind is set in a different direction. If I was you, I'll be thinking how to become independent, not how to take another insurance line and work it. I believe most of the agents here will do the same.

Find an existing PC agency to partner up with that already has all the staff, carriers, etc.

Otherwise, your PC customers are not going to care that you are busy with Medicare season when they have claims, billing issues, need certificates for lenders, buy new car, new house, etc.

Maybe an existing PC agency will be glad to add you as a seasonal producer & give you maybe a 60/40 split on new business & maybe 40/60 on renewal in recognition that they will be bearing the cost & time of servicing policies.

Some teachers do this in the summers, tax preparers in the off season, even greenhouse operators, etc

Good morning,

We’ve been working from home for over 4 years, even before the pandemic. We only sell P&C. Do you have 6 years experience in life/health only? How many years P&C experience? And what states are you licensed to sell P&C?

If you're willing to get a WI, IL, MN, or IN license, I can likely help you (and maybe send some business your way too from time to time). While my agency does business in MI, the auto market isn't our strong point and having other states (at this time) isn't required, but would help keep you busy as your book isn't likely big enough to do so.

Find an existing PC agency to partner up with that already has all the staff, carriers, etc.

Otherwise, your PC customers are not going to care that you are busy with Medicare season when they have claims, billing issues, need certificates for lenders, buy new car, new house, etc.

Maybe an existing PC agency will be glad to add you as a seasonal producer & give you maybe a 60/40 split on new business & maybe 40/60 on renewal in recognition that they will be bearing the cost & time of servicing policies.

Some teachers do this in the summers, tax preparers in the off season, even greenhouse operators, etc

Thank you this is exactly along the lines of what I was thinking. I would need someone who could absorb some of the customer service when I am unable to provide it. Of course I would also need someone with strong industry knowledge for the situations that are complex.

I think you are asking wrong audience here. Most of us are indis (independent). Our mind is set in a different direction. If I was you, I'll be thinking how to become independent, not how to take another insurance line and work it. I believe most of the agents here will do the same.

I don't sell p&c at all right now. I would not want to be independent because I have no idea what I am doing. I would need an agency with resources to teach me and show me the ropes

Good morning,

We’ve been working from home for over 4 years, even before the pandemic. We only sell P&C. Do you have 6 years experience in life/health only? How many years P&C experience? And what states are you licensed to sell P&C?

Yep, life and health only. I have zero p&c experience

If you're willing to get a WI, IL, MN, or IN license, I can likely help you (and maybe send some business your way too from time to time). While my agency does business in MI, the auto market isn't our strong point and having other states (at this time) isn't required, but would help keep you busy as your book isn't likely big enough to do so.

I think I could generate plenty of interest to stay busy on the P&C side. I've had clients asking me if I can do it for years. I also have connections with a few people that have retired from that line of business that did it for 30/40 years.

I don't know exactly what my plans are, that's why i'm throwing this out there to see if anyone has experience with this type of situation

Back