Door knocking final expense/medicare cross sell

I bet I’ve door knocked 10 k doors the last 10 plus yrs . You knock a cold list 99% of agents will be out of the business in 6 months . No doubt knocking not as efficient as setting appts but if your good your sales ratio should be very high if you get in the house

For newer agents reading this, its very rare that a prospect will read your business card and start asking questions about other products that you sell. Or in 6 months search for your card in their house because they decided to get Medicare Advantage plan. If distributing the business card ever worked, I could just stay outside the funeral home or hospice and distribute cards eventually someone would read the card and call me. Insurance is not sold this way, you will make one sale every 3 years which wont cover your card costs.

And that always comes from a lack of work ethic. Not the nature of the business itself.

Of course . Anything’s possible . That’s like saying if an agent works from 8-8 6 days a week cold knocking will he make it ? Of course . How many agents will make the sacrifice or last doing that ? 1 out of a 1000. You look for ways to give you the highest odds to suceed . Irregardless statistics say only 5 out of 100 make it 2 yrs anyway .

I am a new agent to both the life and health field.

Does anyone know if it is compliant to knock on someone's door to talk about final expense, and then give them a business card that says you sell Final expense, Medicare advantage, Medicare supplement, and Rx drug plans?

my card simply lists that those are some of the products I sell. It does not list any of the carriers I sell for.

Also, I am aware that I cannot cross sell right there on the spot if the customer is interested, I would have to come back another day.

Technically I am not door knocking to talk about Medicare, but if the customer sees that I sell Medicare products on my card, then they can ask me about it and I can set up a scope of appointment if they are interested, right?

Again, I would not even mention anything about Medicare while door knocking, but if no one is home, can I leave a business card like the one described above?

Also, can I do the same thing with local businesses and leave the above mentioned card with them to display?

I could not for the life of me find an answer to this on CMS.gov.

All it says is that you cannot door knock for Medicare and you cannot leave marketing materials at their door.

Also, what if I instead wrote that I sell final expense and health insurance on the card, and didn't mention med advantage, supplement, or drug plans?

I can't help it if the customer asks me if I also sell Medicare, even if I don't have that on my business card.

Thanks for any advice.

CMS' rule says that you can't door knock (or cold call) for Medicare Supplements with the INTENTION of switching it to MAPD. You can knock all day long for FE and Med Supps. So, lead with FE and/or Med Supps (I recommend leading with Med Supps and cross-selling FE).

If your client is more suited for a MA plan after you have completed your fact finding, then get the scope signed and come back in 48 hours.

Back