Earliest GEP Medicare Part B effective date under new rules ??

LostDollar

There's No Toilet Paper- on the Road Less Traveled
5000 Post Club
Kansas
Caveat, not an agent.

From reading posts here, it is my understanding there is a change in effective dates for GEP Part B enrollments starting in 2023. Effective dates will be the first of the following month.

So, my question, what is the earliest effective date one can have with the new rules?
January 1 or February 1?

My thought is that GEP under new rules would give effective dates of Feb 1, Mar 1, and Apr 1.

However I saw a recent post that suggested a Jan 1 date was possible.

Wondering what the correct answer is?

Thanks.

Since the GEP itself doesn't begin until January 1 (the first day someone could apply for Part B), the earliest Part B could begin is February 1.

The Code of Federal Regulations will be updated to read:
If the individual enrolls or reenrolls during a general enrollment period—
(i) Before January 1, 2023, his or her entitlement begins on July 1 of the
calendar year; or (ii) On or after January 1, 2023, his or her entitlement begins on the first day of the month after the month of enrollment.

Let's not also forget, beginning Jan 1st, 2023, anyone enrolling in Medicare during their IEP during the 3 months following the month of their 65th birthday, their Medicare will become effective the month following the month they sign up as well. There have been discussions these changes while designed to help the beneficiary may have an overwhelming, negative impact on Social Security's ability to process these previously delayed enrollments this quickly. Thus there may be potential for beneficiaries to not receive confirmation of their enrollments by the following month.

Last edited:
.....expedited previously delayed enrollments......

I am not enough of a wordsmith to provide different words, but I don't think this is an appropriate description.

I think "expedited" is an inappropriate word to use for a reasonably expected enrollment date.

Back