Exchanges Are Mistakes...not Markets

I don't know what kind of people you deal with, but most 6-7 figure income people I know would care about a 12 grand fine. Not saying it would hurt them, but that's real money. Most people in the million dollar bracket aren't exactly using $100 bills as toilet paper. Even then, you're out 3 months of TP.

Then again, they pretty much all have insurance.

For reference CBO Estimates for national average of lowest cost bronze plan are below. Taken from the link posted by Ann a page back.

$4500-5000 for Indiv, $12,000-12,500 for family.

For reference CBO Estimates for national average of lowest cost bronze plan are below. Taken from the link posted by Ann a page back.

$4500-5000 for Indiv, $12,000-12,500 for family.

Now multiply this by 100 (to figure out what these numbers are 1% of) and think about how few people will be paying this amount. For those making $450,000 or more I doubt any one of us will have trouble selling them any kind of health plan.

I really doubt an individual making half a million a year won't have health insurance.

But, goddamnit, this is AMERICA, you should at least be able to make the choice without a penalty.

I mean, argument's sake, if you're 25, peak of health, with a $500,000 income, a catastrophic plan isn't a horrible idea. You can afford routine care out of pocket, you just need coverage for the obscene costs associated with something horrific. Heck, the money you save on premium will probably cover all of your usual out-of-pocket costs if you're healthy. 2 years of savings will probably cover your entire deductible if you were to have an accident. PPACA considers that to not meet the EHB because you could afford a metal-tier plan that you don't really need.

I feel like a hypocrite for saying that and being a 20-something with a PPO, but I believe the Government shouldn't have the power to compel citizens to purchase anything under any circumstance.

riddle me this: what would stop an individual from purchasing a product from oh say Sweden, or Germany that is a medical line of credit with something like a 10 or 15 thousand "deductible"? Its not a health insurance policy it is a plan that pays all medical "bills" that are submitted... There would be no American involvement and no provider network.

where does this idea come from? when I met my wife she had this plan as an expat here from Europe. Have claim in USA just send the company the bill and game over, they paid either you or the provider the entire amount. Period, end of story

riddle me this: what would stop an individual from purchasing a product from oh say Sweden, or Germany that is a medical line of credit with something like a 10 or 15 thousand "deductible"? Its not a health insurance policy it is a plan that pays all medical "bills" that are submitted... There would be no American involvement and no provider network.

where does this idea come from? when I met my wife she had this plan as an expat here from Europe. Have claim in USA just send the company the bill and game over, they paid either you or the provider the entire amount. Period, end of story

It makes too much sense, and can't be regulated (and/or taxed) efficiently, so the government won't go for it.

Back