FE Sales...Call first, or drive by?

Why not call first - then visit as well. Even mail them a simple post card.

Work the leads - don't let them work you.

Either way - ask for referrals.

Tom

'k so, I'm new to insurance - I've only been licensed a month and working about 3 weeks. Today I did my first D2D (or cold-visiting, as I like to think of it). I chose Saturday morning because it's a time when ppl are likely to be home but not busy. I worked an area not far from a small university that holds a lot of apartments and duplexes. I didn't ask to make a presentation; I only introduced myself, my company and my card (with a hole punched and a ribbon tied thru it to make is more memorable and harder to lose). I live in SC, so the ppl were generally friendly and I got a much better response than calling a target demographic. I had several ppl respond that they or someone close to them were interested and that they would definitely give me a call this week. So I'm waiting to see how they follow up, but it was definitely more enjoyable than calling.

Now I'm trying to figure out a good way to contact businesses.

I think it really depends on the agent's personality I have "door knocked" and I "set f.e. appointments". I personally do better by just showing up and knocking on the door. If I will be in a certain area for a day or so and no one is at home, everytime I come back by that area I check to see if anyone is home.

To say that door knocking will have low results is completely inaccurate I have worked with several agents that sell f.e. day in and day out and they write at least 12000 in premiums every month. I am not necessairly talking about "veterans" either, agents that get 20-25 leads every week. What I learned from working with these guys is never ever ever throw a dm lead away it does not matter how old they are, eventually both spouses will be home.

Yes, I am referring to those "crappy social security only pays 225 toward you final expense" mail cards.

I think calling makes people think telemarketer, or bill collector. And it can hurt your creditbility. I like to meet people at their door. It gives that personal touch and if they have a need you are already there to make the sale. I would try to reach them at home first if they are pretty close to where your office is. And if they are a home but hiding then try the call. But when you visit there home and they don't answer leave your card or a letter, that way when you call it won't be a cold call. Just another touch.

I've been working with a IMO that has every conceivable marketing plan available, specifically for Final Expense products. Some guys get Lists from me and do their own thing. Others order preset appts from my call center.
Another group does over the phone sales using internet leads from Net Quote.
Still another group uses Direct Mail and door knocking, Direct Mail and calling first...
Try them all, different things work for different people.
Insurance Marketing isn't really a "One size fits all" kind of Industry, in my opinion.

I find, as mentioned previously, the best way is to set appointments and then go door knock on the old leads, could not contact and the "not interested" on the phone. I have sold many a policy that initially told me no on the phone, but when I got face to face a month later (they had forgotten by then I called), they were open to the information. So use a variety of methods to be successful. Main thing is getting face to face with people.

Quick story. My first week (on Mon & Tues) of the business selling final expense I was handed a ton of 6 month to a year old leads and told to go door knock. I door knocked for 2 days straight 1.5 hours from my home, staying overnight in a hotel room. End result, only got a handful of people home (I think 5 in 2 days) and got to make 0 presentations.
Someone back at the office told my upline to give me a shot at new leads. Got 30 new leads that came in that week. Called on them that Wed and set appointments for that Thursday. 10 appointments, 10 sales for over 4k in commission. Got new leads after that.

I think calling makes people think telemarketer, or bill collector. And it can hurt your creditbility. I like to meet people at their door. It gives that personal touch and if they have a need you are already there to make the sale. I would try to reach them at home first if they are pretty close to where your office is. And if they are a home but hiding then try the call. But when you visit there home and they don't answer leave your card or a letter, that way when you call it won't be a cold call. Just another touch.

Using your method, how much FE ap do you write in a week? In a month? How many leads do you use?

I think it really depends on the agent's personality I have "door knocked" and I "set f.e. appointments". I personally do better by just showing up and knocking on the door. If I will be in a certain area for a day or so and no one is at home, everytime I come back by that area I check to see if anyone is home.

To say that door knocking will have low results is completely inaccurate I have worked with several agents that sell f.e. day in and day out and they write at least 12000 in premiums every month. I am not necessairly talking about "veterans" either, agents that get 20-25 leads every week. What I learned from working with these guys is never ever ever throw a dm lead away it does not matter how old they are, eventually both spouses will be home.

Yes, I am referring to those "crappy social security only pays 225 toward you final expense" mail cards.

You got it! It depends what your good at. Unfortunately, Im not great on the phone but I am great at door knocking. That being said, I wasnt great at door knocking at first. I used to sit in my car for 30 minutes sometimes to get the courage to door knock. Seems silly now but the more you call on the phone (assuming they answer) and the more you door knock the better you'll become as long as you learn from each experience.

Latest posts

Back