Florida Carriers in 2017 ?

Molina's current commission structure is 6% FYC and 4% renewals, if they are switching to a PMPM schedule it hasn't officially been released yet.

Ambetter, to the best of my knowledge, isn't appointing individual agents and their network is really bad

Cigna , per the Sun Sentinel article, is not participating in Exchange plans for 2017 but will continue to offer them Off Exchange.

AvMed is offering Off Exchange plans in selected counties

Both Molina and AvMed are paying commissions for SEPs in 2016

Other than that it will all be Florida Blue next year

By the way, I don't take anyone's word for anything, I fact check all of this before making decisions about my business

In a meeting with Molina a few weeks ago they said that the commission was going to move from a % to a flat monthly , but that's as far as they went.

http://www.miamiherald.com/latest-n...arket-Monthly-Premiums-for-Plan-Year-2017.pdf

Molina Healthcare, which sells plans in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach, announced in August that the company would enter five new Florida counties in 2017: Hillsborough, Polk, Osceola, Duval and Pinellas

Read more here: Obamacare rates in Florida will rise an average 19 percent for 2017 | Miami Herald

----------

http://www.miamiherald.com/latest-n...arket-Monthly-Premiums-for-Plan-Year-2017.pdf

They made Ambetter raise rates from 4% up to 20%

In a review of Humana's rate filing, an actuary with the state Office of Insurance Regulation noted that Humana plans to terminate more than 50 percent of its Florida membership and no longer offer plans in 31 Florida counties. Plans will be available only in South Florida, Tampa and Volusia counties, the review states.

State, feds offer conflicting spins on 2017 Obamacare rates - Sun Sentinel

Some nugget charts in this one

Obamacare rates in Florida will rise an average 19 percent for 2017 | Miami Herald

In a review of Humana's rate filing, an actuary with the state Office of Insurance Regulation noted that Humana plans to terminate more than 50 percent of its Florida membership and no longer offer plans in 31 Florida counties. Plans will be available only in South Florida, Tampa and Volusia counties, the review states.

State, feds offer conflicting spins on 2017 Obamacare rates - Sun Sentinel

Some nugget charts in this one

Obamacare rates in Florida will rise an average 19 percent for 2017 | Miami Herald

That's because they only filed plans for the HMUx network and those are the only areas where the network is active-this isn't anything new, they are a non-factor for next year

I'm in S.Fla.

So who's in the game now?

• -Molina (we know)
  • -Humana ? ? ?
  • -Florida Blue (but only captive)
  • -Cigna (but off xchange)?
  • -Ambetter (are they paying a comm?)

Conflicting info all around!

The article mentioned Cigna but they are off the exchange? Will that qualify for ACA tax exemption?

I'm in S.Fla.

So who's in the game now?

• -Molina (we know)
  • -Humana ? ? ?
  • -Florida Blue (but only captive)
  • -Cigna (but off xchange)?
  • -Ambetter (are they paying a comm?)

Conflicting info all around!

The article mentioned Cigna but they are off the exchange? Will that qualify for ACA tax exemption?

It sounds to me like your FMO gives you half the story all of the time.

Humana will have the HMUx in South Florida, it's not a good network but will still be there.

Ambetter's network is even worse and, to the best of my knowledge, they aren't appointing agents so commissions are a moot point

Cigna will also offer Off Exchange.

Florida Blue will be in every county next year, if you are in this market to stay you might consider becoming an exclusive agent for them.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like your FMO gives you half the story all of the time.

Humana will have the HMUx in South Florida, it's not a good network but will still be there.

Ambetter's network is even worse and, to the best of my knowledge, they aren't appointing agents so commissions are a moot point

Cigna will also offer Off Exchange.

Florida Blue will be in every county next year, if you are in this market to stay you might consider becoming an exclusive agent for them.

Thanks FLM,
Not sure what off exchange will do for agents. Can you expound on that? I really appreciate your input....thanks again!~

Thanks FLM,
Not sure what off exchange will do for agents. Can you expound on that? I really appreciate your input....thanks again!~

Off Exchange is for those who are above 400% FPL and don't qualify for tax subsidies-with the exception of Molina (they only offer On Exchange) all of the On Exchange plans are also offered Off Exchange. In addition there are others who only offer Off Exchange (Cigna, AvMed).

Off Exchange is direct to the insurance company, no Marketplace involvement. Commissions have to be the same both on and off exchange for the same plan.

Back