Golden Rule Contract Cancellation

Just received a letter in the mail from GR, stating they regret to inform they are canceling my contract as of January 16, 2012. I guess they are upset because I haven't sent them any new business in 8 months.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I guess this is for the best, because here in Alabama I can't find anyone that can afford major medical and can get approved for coverage. I still sell about 2 to 3 assurant health access policies a month.

I am just concerned that since I have switched my focus to the senior market and had a pretty good AEP, if AARP/Unitedhealthcare is going to cancel my contract also; since they are both under Unitedhealthcare.

I guess this is for the best, because here in Alabama I can't find anyone that can afford major medical and can get approved for coverage. I still sell about 2 to 3 assurant health access policies a month.

I am just concerned that since I have switched my focus to the senior market and had a pretty good AEP, if AARP/Unitedhealthcare is going to cancel my contract also; since they are both under Unitedhealthcare.

I don't think you have to worry about that, I am pretty sure they are separate deals. We sold a few AARP plans this AEP but haven't written a GR policy except for a couple of STMs in years. Still have a few clients on the books. Like others on this thread have said, wouldn't be surprised to get a letter also!

At one time I wrote a fair amount of GR business, but it dropped off considerably maybe 4 years ago. They terminated my contract earlier this year. Hasn't bothered me a bit. Was only writing a couple of cases a year with them and those were folks that no one else would write.

Called GR to see why my contract was being canceled; they said that AHCP had requested it to be canceled. So, I called AHCP and was told that they are canceling over 1000 agents due to non-production and we can't get another contract for 6 months.

I am glad I switched my focus to seniors.

Which came first?

GR's non-competitive stance in the market place or your inability to place business with them at rates higher than other carriers?

Back