Golden Rule - Maternity?

I think you have to have no insurance , although how would they verify?

I'll call them tomorrow and find out. I'm the only dummy that cash paid 2 of my 3 kids after Unicare dropped my maternity when my wife was pregnant.

I had medicaid for the first two trimesters of my pregnancy. I had to see a perinatologist and the care was beyond excellent. The nurses that just take your blood pressure/health history both had their master's degree and were Certified Nurse Midwives. When we moved (for x's job) we suddenly had private insurance..the care was awful. It was a regular OB not a perinatologist so that might explain the difference. They gave me a book how contraction pain was a curse from God and I should pray etc. (I believe in prayer, home births/extending breastfeeding, etc but this was ridiculous.) The care I received under medicaid was beyond excellent though. So it really depends on the provider.:yes:

The care NOT being pregnant under medicaid for an adult was awful though. I wonder if it has to do more to the area of the country I am in. My Aunt in PA has the cheap state plan after beign on a wait list and her care is excellent. It was nothing like what I experienced here.

I really don't understand why a republican president changed the guidelines to include such high income limits since medicaid was to be a safety net for the low income not entitlements for the comfortable. Pediatricians are so high now because almost everyone can get covered under SCHIP. I wonder sometimes if these programs hurt the poor in some ways because they inflate prices.

Another option is a home birth or birthing center with a midwife - rates for that are very low compared to hospital deliveries. Even if you rent a tub and have a duola it is still much lower than a hospital birth. :1biggrin:

Last edited:
And what happens when you have a complication and are in your bath tub or kiddie pool delivering your baby?

It is a risk being away from the hospital that could mean life or death.

Back