Google Changes - Article Directories

Yep, sites with lots of dupe content & low quality content had their asses handed to them. A lot of the people I work with think that the big ones that are being reported (like ezine's and mahalo's drops) were manual edits.

If you searched for Mahalo Saturday it was #3 for an EMD (exact match domain), now it's two... We may be witnessing Google's response to the complaints about web spam. As long as we're popping out original content for specialized sites (insurance and insurance only for example) and not spinning it or submitting it to multiple places there's no need to worry.

This will actually help small guys like us; but article marketers like dyadvisor are probably hurting a little from this since they bum marketed off of ezine, squidoo, and the like.

I still do some article marketing, but constantly wonder if it is a waste of time.

I heard an expert in a recent webinar say that the SEO benefit is minimal to nonexistent today. He said that if you aren't getting direct traffic from your articles, you are wasting your time.

Unfortunately it is hard to draw a straight line from certain SEO activities and traffic. Am I getting all of the additional traffic because of the new content? Is it all coming from the articles? Or is the synergy of the two important? Or is is something else entirely?

Over the last year I have reduced the time I spend on article marketing and increased the time invested in creating new content. I used to write an article for every blog post. I write about 4 blog posts for every article I distribute now.

(I still write the blog posts, but now outsource most of the articles. )

But I don't know if I should simply eliminate article marketing from my SEO activities.

Any thoughts?

All good questions, Alston, and obviously I am not the one to respond. Hopefully Malcolm and others will chime in with their wisdom.

Gotta wonder what the guy who said "SEO benefit is minimal to nonexistent" was peddling something. What was his wonder cure for all the ails you?

All good questions, Alston, and obviously I am not the one to respond. Hopefully Malcolm and others will chime in with their wisdom.

Gotta wonder what the guy who said "SEO benefit is minimal to nonexistent" was peddling something. What was his wonder cure for all the ails you?

If a site has any PR and the content is relevant AND it's linking back to you (which the page doesn't have a high amount of outbound backlinks (OBL)) I'd consider it a good thing.

If that means it's an article directory, so be it.

Last edited:
I guess the issue with article directories is that most articles will "rank and tank" if they rank at all.

When you publish an article it gets linked to from the top of the home page of the directory or from the top of the main page of the appropriate category. But shortly after that, it moves down Johnny Carson's couch as new articles arrive.

I wonder if the SEO benefit is also short lived and if I'm not doing much more than pinging my site with the links in the author box.

I forget what the guy was peddling. I don't think that his presentation mentioned article marketing. I think he just addressed a random question during the Q&A session.

He was one of a series of about a dozen presenters and their offers are all jumbled up in my head.

Last edited:
pleased to see that one of my main keyword searches has bumped my site from the 2nd page to 5th on the first page. gone are the ezine articles that were ranking ahead of me.

needless to say I'm happier than a tornado in a trailer park!

Up until this latest Google change, article marketing seemed like the last remaining place to generate relevant one way back links from highly ranked pages. If this source goes away, what remains?

By all appearances all this change has done is really drop the articles themselves in rank in favor of individual sites. Really a good thing for most of us. A lot of my actual backlinking work was done by articles on directories and my site itself hasn't moved because of the change.

Probably going to hurt affiliate marketers more than anyone.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Up until this latest Google change, article marketing seemed like the last remaining place to generate relevant one way back links from highly ranked pages. If this source goes away, what remains?

Social media, social bookmarking, forums, blogs, local directories, google and yahoo local listings, wiki listings.

Not as high of PR, but to be honest I don't see that PR has that huge of an impact on SERP.

Last edited:
Back