Has Anybody Tried This?

castaways83

Expert
I read in a post in an earlier thread (I searched for it but couldn't find it again) about hiring high school kids to door knock, hand out a flyer and set appointments. I want to start doing this in the senior market for Medicare Supplements.

Has anybody been doing this?

For those of you that have, I had a few questions.

1. What are the legalities to consider if any?

2. What are you having the the kids say (I.E. script their using) to get an appointment set?

3. What are you using for a flyer (post examples if you can)?

4. Percentage of appointments they are setting?

Thanks in advance :)

Jim

Hi Jim,

It's an interesting idea that you have. I have not tried this in the sense that you would be looking to use these youngsters, but have had high school age kids work for me in the past.

In terms of legality, I'm located in Michigan, and here it would be perfectly legal, but they are limited to a set amount of hours each week between school and work (I believe it's 48 total). For the typical student here, that leaves about 15 hours that they can devote to work per week during the school year.

In the past, I owned a small retail store, and employed a couple of high school aged kids part time. In particular the challenge I found is in customer facing situations, they lacked credibility. This wasn't necessarily fair, as they were well trained and knew our products well, however, perception can be reality. This would be my biggest concern with deploying them in this capacity. I realize that you are not sending them out as experts, but to someone on the other side of the door they may be more skeptical in even listening to what they have to say.

On the other hand, they undoubtedly work cheaper, and it might be worth a shot. Start on a small scale and see what your results are. If it does fail, it won't cost you much.

One concern would be if these high school students would be operating a motor vehicle while working for you.

The other item I would wonder about is if there is some E&O issues with this.

Not sure if there is but I wonder how a Carrier would look at both these items.

One concern would be if these high school students would be operating a motor vehicle while working for you.

The other item I would wonder about is if there is some E&O issues with this.

Not sure if there is but I wonder how a Carrier would look at both these items.

E&O is a non-issue because the kids won't be quoting anything, they're basically handing out fliers.

If you 1099 them on it and their operating a vehicle (make sure in writing they're independent contractors and that they'd be 1099'd) then the liability, vehicle or otherwise, is 100% on them.

E&O is a non-issue because the kids won't be quoting anything, they're basically handing out fliers.

If you 1099 them on it and their operating a vehicle (make sure in writing they're independent contractors and that they'd be 1099'd) then the liability, vehicle or otherwise, is 100% on them.

I have this girl that baby sits my grandson. I'm only going to have her work maybe 2 or 3 hours on like a mid morning to early afternoon on Saturdays.

As far as 1099 them goes, do you know what I need to do to do that?

Thanks
Jim
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
As far as 1099 them goes, do you know what I need to do to do that?

Never mind I found the info on the IRS web site Forms and Associated Taxes for Independent Contractors. If you pay them less than $600 in a year, you don't have to report it.

Thanks
Jim

Last edited:
Back